About This Chapter
Object-Oriented Design - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll review foundational object-oriented design principles and concepts. After outlining the basics of object-oriented design, our expert instructors explain the functions of GRASP design patterns, CRC cards, composition over inheritance and more. The chapter includes short quizzes to help you reinforce your understanding of the lesson topics. Use any computer or mobile device to study, and feel free to submit questions to our instructors if you have any. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Discuss the advantages and principles of object-oriented design
- Explain object-oriented design's five basic concepts
- Recognize inputs and outputs in object-oriented design
- Evaluate the concept of composition over inheritance
- Understand the purpose of CRC cards
- Assess GRASP design patterns
- Describe the benefits of the open/closed principle in object-oriented design
1. Five Basic Concepts of Object-Oriented Design
There are five key pillars of object-oriented design. In this lesson, we will cover the five core concepts of objects/classes, inheritance, encapsulation, methods, and polymorphism.
2. GRASP Design Patterns in Object-Oriented Design
In this lesson, we'll grasp onto nine design patterns used in object-oriented design. These principles are part of GRASP. We'll define GRASP and explain the nine key patterns of design using this methodology.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the System Analysis & Design: Help & Review course
- Domain Modeling
- Infrastructure & Architecture for System Analysis & Design
- Modeling & Diagramming in System Analysis & Design
- Overview of System Analysis & Design
- Software Development & Testing
- Systems Modeling Language (SysML)
- Unified Modeling Language (UML)
- Software Development Methodologies
- Service-Oriented Architecture