About This Chapter
Occupational Health & Ergonomics - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll find a series of engaging lessons that discuss occupational health and ergonomics topics. Work through the chapter at your own pace to study environmental toxicant effects, drug toxicity responses, body mechanics, occupational exposure limits and much more. When you're finished working through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Recognize the sources of various environmental toxicants
- Describe dose responses and drug toxicity
- Define visual acuity, epidemiology and anthropometric measurement
- Recognize guidelines for body mechanics implementation
- Understand proper patient movement, turning and ambulation methods
- Identify, evaluate and control occupational exposures
- Explain the purpose of occupational exposure limits
To help you further your understanding of these concepts, we've included several self-assessment quizzes throughout the chapter. If you need clarification on a lesson topic, you can submit questions to our instructors online at any time. Use any computer or mobile device to access these resources, and revisit the lessons and quizzes as many times as you wish.
1. Environmental Toxicants: Types, Sources & Effects
In this video lesson, you will identify different types of environmental toxicants. You will also learn about the harmful effects of these toxicants and how they travel from various sources.
2. Drug Toxicity: Effective & Lethal Dose-Responses
In this lesson, you're going to learn about several important topics related to drug toxicity: the lethal dose 50, the effective dose 50, and the therapeutic index (margin of safety).
3. How Ergonomics Can Prevent Injuries
Ergonomics is important for any work environment. This lesson explains what ergonomics is and how it prevents injuries, using general concepts and specific examples.
4. What Is Visual Acuity? - Definition, Scale & Tests
Visual acuity is a measure of how clear and sharp your vision is. To standardize this, it's measured at different distances so that the results from many people can be averaged together. This lesson will explain visual acuity and the different tests used to measure it.
5. The Role of Body Mechanics in Injury Prevention
Do you know what body mechanics are and how proper body mechanics can prevent injury? In this lesson you will learn how you can prevent unnecessary injury by practicing some simple techniques.
6. What is Anthropometric Measurement? - Tools, Purpose & Methods
Anthropometric measurements are used to assess the size, shape and composition of the human body. Learn about common methods used to gather these measurements, such as BMI, waist-to-hip ratio, skin-fold test and bioelectrical impedance.
7. What is Epidemiology? - Definition & Medical Terms
We are going to gain an understanding of epidemiology and what an epidemiologist is looking for. We will also explore some common terms and examples of past epidemiological studies.
8. Noise Pollution: Sources, Effects & Control Methods
Have you ever rolled down your car window only to hear several different noises? The sources of the noises that you hear can contribute to noise pollution. Use this lesson to learn about noise pollution, its sources, and the different ways to control for it.
9. Radiation Exposure in the Workplace
This lesson identifies ways workers become exposed to radiation in the workplace. You'll also learn how employers can limit employee exposure to radiation according to the OSHA standards.
10. Silica Exposure & Silicosis: Effects & OSHA Standards
In this lesson, you will learn how employees are exposed to crystalline silica and find out how to identify the effects and symptoms of silicosis disease and how employees are exposed to crystalline silica. You also review OSHA standards and discover ways to reduce exposure to silica..
11. Substance Abuse in the Workplace: Impact, Assessment & Treatment
Substance abuse in the workplace not only affects the individual employee, but can have deleterious effects on coworkers and customers alike. Read this lesson to learn more about the negative impact substance abuse has on the workplace and what businesses can do to remedy this growing concern.
12. What Are Occupational Exposure Limits (OELs)? - Definition, Purpose & Examples
After reading this lesson, you'll understand why OELs are so important in the workplace. You'll also learn some limits of common hazards found in the workplace.
13. Occupational Exposures: Identification, Evaluation & Control
Learn about identifying occupational hazards and methods for recognizing occupational exposures. We will discuss evaluating these exposures and some methods to control them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Certified Safety Professional (CSP): Exam Prep & Study Guide course
- Core Concepts in Anatomy
- Fundamental Concepts in Chemistry
- Overview of Physics Concepts
- Microbiology for Safety Professionals
- Mathematical Concepts Overview
- Statistics for Interpreting Data
- Principles of Research Methodology
- Management Planning & Strategic Analysis
- Management Systems for Safety Professionals
- Organizational Leadership & Management Theories
- Motivation, Discipline & Communication in the Workplace
- Fundamental Concepts in Project Management
- Budgeting & Finance for Safety Professionals
- Principles of Risk Management for Safety Professionals
- Safety Management for Safety Professionals
- Workplace Hazards & Protective Equipment
- Emergency Preparedness & Security for Safety Professionals
- Environmental Management Systems for Safety Professionals
- Workplace Training & Education
- Law & Ethics for Safety Professionals