About This Chapter
Oceans & Tides - Chapter Summary
The Oceans & Tides chapter examines the different patterns of ocean circulation in its lessons. You'll get an opportunity to look over major features of shorelines and beaches, such as headlands and sand dunes. Different effects that waves have on shorelines over time are covered. The chapter also aims to reinforce your understanding of these topics:
- Key features of waves
- Various types of tides
- Processes that play a role in longshore transport
- How tsunamis are caused
The video lessons have an average individual length near five minutes. You may easily recheck any viewed segments by making use of the video tags. Every lesson comes with a short practice quiz that targets the major terms and concepts discussed.
1. Properties of Ocean Water
Ocean waters are salty and contain minerals and dissolved gases. They also have a high heat capacity and vary in density depending on temperature and salinity. Learn more about the unique chemical and physical properties of ocean water.
2. Ocean Circulation: Patterns & Effect on Climate
The ocean waters are always in motion and as they travel around the globe they carry and distribute heat, which affects the global climate. Learn about the ocean circulation patterns and how they impact the climate.
3. Characteristics of Shorelines & Beaches
Shorelines and beaches are constantly changing due to forces, such as waves, winds and currents. Learn about characteristics of shorelines, including headlands, bays, beach berms, sand dunes, spits, tombolos, barrier islands and lagoons.
4. Waves: Types, Features & Effect on Erosion
There are different types of ocean waves, including wind waves, tsunamis and tidal waves. Learn the features of waves and how their erosive effect creates the unique features found on the shoreline.
5. Contributing Factors of Longshore Transport: Beach Drift & Longshore Current
The longshore transport is the process responsible for the movement of sand and sediment along the coastline. Sand and other particles are transported with the help of the longshore current and beach drift. Learn how these factors shape shorelines.
6. What Are Tides? - Causes & Effects
Tides rise and fall under the influence of the gravitational pull of the moon and sun. Learn about different tides, why they are predictable and their effects on coastal regions of the world.
7. The Causes & Effects of a Tsunami
A tsunami is a powerful series of waves that result due to an abrupt disturbance, such as an earthquake. Learn how tsunamis form and grow and discover the devastating effects they can have on people and the environment.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the NES Earth & Space Science - WEST (307): Practice & Study Guide course
- The Scientific Revolution & Society
- Scientific Research & Experiments
- Laboratory Equipment, Solutions & Measurements
- Using Mathematics in Science
- Reading & Constructing Maps
- Cycles and Spheres of Earth
- Rocks & Minerals
- Earth's Internal Structure
- The Lithosphere
- Understanding Earthquakes
- Weathering, Erosion & Soil
- Geologic Time & Relative Dating
- Natural Resources & Energy
- Earth's Water Balance
- Ground Water Systems
- Flowing Water
- Water Resource Issues
- Atmospheric Cycle & Solar Energy
- Earth's Climate Systems
- Air Masses & Wind
- Severe Weather & Disturbances
- Weather Forecasting & Analysis
- Atmospheric Changes
- Formation & Phases of the Moon
- The Sun's Structure, Energy & Life Cycle
- Solar Radiation, Energy & Light
- Orbits & Gravity
- Formation of the Solar System
- Solar System Components & Characteristics
- The Laws of Kepler & Newton
- Star Types & Life Cycle
- Stars, Energy & Spectra
- Cosmological Theories of the Universe
- Space Science Technology
- NES/WEST Earth & Space Science Flashcards