About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning about the characters in Of Mice and Men will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about the main characters in Of Mice and Men. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who want to learn a broad topic in a short amount of time
- Students who are looking for easy ways to identify the most important information on the topic
- Students who have fallen behind in their analysis of the characters in Of Mice and Men
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about literature (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who have limited time to study for an upcoming exam
How It Works:
- Watch each video in the chapter to review all key topics.
- Refer to the video transcripts to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with a short quiz.
- Complete your review with the Of Mice and Men: Characters chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: The lessons in this chapter cover only information you need to know.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Take the Of Mice and Men: Characters chapter exam to make sure you're prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts literature question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter summarizes the material students need to know about the characters in Of Mice and Men for a standard literature course. Topics covered include:
- The central characters in Of Mice and Men
- Character analyses
- Descriptions and quotes of Lennie Small and George Milton
- A study of Lennie and George's relationship
- Characterizations and quotes of Candy, Curly, Slim, Carlson, and Curly's wife
- An examination of Crooks, including his dream, loneliness and quotes
1. Main Characters in Of Mice and Men
The iconic novel Of Mice and Men is made complete by its engaging, enduring characters. Who are they, and what makes them so captivating? This lesson will detail the main characters of the story and give you a glimpse into their legendary status.
2. Of Mice and Men Character Analysis
This lesson explores the most important characters in John Steinbeck's 1937 classic, ''Of Mice and Men.'' It also analyzes the significance of these characters both within the novel and in American literature.
3. Lennie Small in Of Mice and Men: Description & Quotes
This lesson describes the character of Lennie Small from ''Of Mice and Men'', including his animal-like, yet innocent nature, through the use of quotes and examples from the book.
4. George Milton in Of Mice and Men: Description & Quotes
In this lesson, we will look at the character of George Milton from John Steinbeck's novel ''Of Mice and Men'', and see how his character develops from mean and quick-tempered to a caring and responsible man.
5. Lennie & George's Relationship in Of Mice and Men
In this lesson, we will look at the relationship of the two main characters of ''Of Mice and Men'', Lennie and George. We'll examine how this relationship differs from others in the book, and how the bond between the two men ultimately foreshadows the ending of the novel.
6. Who is Candy in Of Mice and Men? - Description & Quotes
In this lesson, we'll discuss Candy, a minor character from ''Of Mice and Men'' and examine how his relationship with his dog acts as a plot device to foreshadow Lennie's death.
7. Who is Curley in Of Mice and Men? - Description & Quotes
In this lesson, we will examine the antagonistic character, Curley, from Of Mice and Men, who is the mean, cruel, and menacing son of the boss. Throughout the novel, Curley picks fights with the rest of the men and objectifies and controls his wife.
8. Who is Curley's Wife in Of Mice and Men? - Description & Quotes
In this lesson, we will look at the character of Curley's wife, from ''Of Mice and Men'', and how she is depicted as an Eve-like temptress and manipulator. We will see that it is only after death that her sweetness and innocence is revealed.
9. Slim in Of Mice and Men: Description & Quotes
This lesson will examine the minor character of Slim in 'Of Mice and Men' who is portrayed as a quiet, wise, and thoughtful man. Though Slim is technically a secondary character, he counsels the main characters in many critical points of the novel.
10. Crooks in Of Mice and Men: Dream, Loneliness & Quotes
Crooks, the stable hand in 'Of Mice and Men,' is very lonely. Most of this is due to the racism of his boss and the other ranch hands. In this lesson, learn more about Crooks and how his situation ties into the major theme of loneliness in 'Of Mice and Men.'
11. Carlson in Of Mice and Men: Description & Quotes
When analyzing a work of literature, it is important not to discount the side characters. In this lesson, you'll learn about Carlson in John Steinbeck's 'Of Mice and Men' and the role he played in the book.
Of Mice and Men Character List & Flashcards
Why is Of Mice and Men considered an American Classic? Some would say it is for the complex characters who reflect the authors own struggles. Test your understanding of who these characters are and how they interact with one another in the story.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.