About This Chapter
Ohio APK Adolescence to Young Adult: Cognitive & Physical Development - Chapter Summary
Video and text lessons are used to refresh your memory on issues including Piaget's stages of development, growth spurts and gender differences in puberty. In preparation for the Ohio APK Adolescence to Young Adult assessment, you can also review the following:
- Stages and characteristics of adolescence
- How development, growth and maturation are different
- Stages of cognitive development
- Major psychological perspectives of devvelopment
- Common issues with middle and secondary school children
- Changes in cognitive development during adolescence
- Physical growth and development
- Health and fitness in adolescence
- The secular trend in growth and puberty development
You can revisit any point in one of these engaging video lessons in no time by using the handy video tags. After you finish any video and text lesson combination, you can take a corresponding practice quiz to demonstrate your command of the material.
Objectives of the Ohio APK Adolescence to Young Adult: Cognitive & Physical Development Chapter
The Ohio APK Adolescence to Young Adult assessment establishes whether you have the required expertise to teach students in Ohio as part of the certification process. The topics you review in this chapter are found in the Student Development and Learning domain of the exam. All questions from this domain are multiple choice, and make up around 24% of your score.
1. What Is Adolescence? - Definition, Stages & Characteristics
Did you know that there are three stages of adolescence? Learn more about adolescence, its stages, and the characteristics of each stage. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. What is Development? - Growth, Maturation & Learning
To many people, terms like development, growth, maturation, and learning all mean the same thing. In this lesson, we'll learn the subtle differences between each of these terms and how they apply to human life.
3. Cognitive Development in Adolescence: Piaget's Formal Operations Stage
As children grow into teenagers, they become better at higher level thinking skills. In this lesson, we'll look at the formal operations stage of psychologist Jean Piaget's cognitive development theory to learn how adolescents think.
4. Behavioral, Cognitive, Developmental, Social Cognitive & Constructivist Perspectives
How do different people learn? Not everyone agrees. In educational psychology, there are many differing perspectives. This lesson will differentiate between the following psychological perspectives: behavioral, cognitive, developmental, social cognitive and constructivist.
5. Changes in Cognitive Development During Adolescence
Adolescence is a period of great change. Changes in the way teenagers think can cause them to do things like argue with adults. Watch this lesson for more information on the cognitive changes that occur in adolescence.
6. Common Issues with Middle/Secondary School Children
You may have had a tough time during your middle or high school years; during that time, it's common for teens to go through various emotional challenges. Here, we will look into several issues that are commonly faced during this time.
7. What Is Physical Development? - Definition and Examples
Everyone grows and changes throughout their lives. In this lesson, we'll look at some important times in physical development, including childhood and old age, and how physical development contributes to other types of development.
8. Physical Growth in Adolescence
Adolescents go through many physical changes. Watch this lesson to find out some of the physical developments that happen during adolescence, including those related to puberty, growth spurts and gender differences in growth.
9. The Secular Trend in Growth and Puberty Development
Teenagers go through dramatic physical changes as a part of puberty. But something odd is happening: puberty is starting earlier each generation. In this lesson, we'll look at the secular trend of puberty and its possible causes.
10. Health and Fitness in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great physical change. However, many adolescents struggle with weight. Watch this lesson to learn more about those weight issues, including how they can fight obesity and issues with eating disorders.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Adolescence to Young Adult (7-12) APK (003): Practice & Study Guide course
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Sexual & Social Development
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Learning Processes
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Student Diversity
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Student Assessments
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Interpreting Assessment Data
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Curriculum Planning
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Instructional Approaches & Best Practices
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Student Motivation & Communication
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Classroom Management
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Family & Community Collaboration
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Educator Responsibilities
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Education Oversight & Advancement
- OAE Adolescence to Young Adult Professional Knowledge Flashcards