About This Chapter
Ohio APK Adolescence to Young Adult: Education Oversight & Advancement - Chapter Summary
Use the video lessons in this chapter to get ready for the Ohio APK Adolescence to Young Adult (7-12) assessment. The lessons examine education oversight and advancement to ensure you're prepared to answer questions on the test that address the following;
- Determining the role of the local, state and federal boards of education
- Understanding the membership requirements and activities of the National Education Association (NEA)
- Analyzing the role of the American Federation of Teachers (AFT)
- Identifying field-specific professional organizations in education
- Describing teacher professional development activities
The video lessons are designed to help you fully absorb the materials in this chapter through expert instruction and by allowing you to watch at your own pace. The lessons are presented in an engaging fashion that makes the learning process fun.
Ohio APK Adolescence to Young Adult: Education Oversight & Advancement Chapter Objectives
The Ohio APK Adolescence to Young Adult (7-12) assessment tests your professional knowledge and skills as an educator as you prepare to interact with students in these grade levels. The assessment also helps determine if you're qualified to secure educator licensure in the state. Ohio APK Adolescence to Young Adult: Education Oversight & Advancement chapter topics are found in the professional environment portion of the assessment, which constitutes approximately 26% of the test. Along with short video lessons, you can access video transcripts that allow you to fully review the materials. Self-assessment quizzes are also available to strengthen your knowledge of the materials while granting you access to questions formatted similarly to those found on the exam.
The majority of questions on the assessment are multiple choice, while two are constructed response. The multiple-choice questions typically require that you read a short paragraph, sentence or question then review a set of four answers. The answers often complete a sentence or offer a response to a question. You will be required to choose the best option among the four answers presented. A work product and case study comprise the constructed-response questions. For both, you will examine a circumstance you might encounter as an educator then construct a written response in 200-300 words.
1. The Local Board of Education's Role in Public Education
There are a lot of responsibilities in education, but who is in charge of what? In this lesson, we'll examine the role of the local government in public education in America, including the duties that are common to local boards of education.
2. The State Government's Role in Public Education
In order to provide free and quality education to all students, the state government has specific roles and duties that it performs. Watch this lesson to find out how the state government shapes public education in America.
3. The Federal Government's Role in Public Education
There are many different levels of government involved in public education in the United States. But what are the different responsibilities of each? Watch this lesson to explore how the federal government affects education in America.
4. National Education Association (NEA): Overview, Membership Requirements & Activism
The National Education Association (NEA) is a major force in the world of American education. Watch this lesson to find out what the NEA is, what it does, what its core values are, who can become a member, and how to join.
5. American Federation of Teachers (AFT): Overview, Membership Requirements & Activism
The American Federation of Teachers (AFT) provides many benefits to its members across the country. In this lesson, we'll explore the AFT, including how to join, the structure of the organization, and its mission and work across the United States.
6. Field-Specific Professional Organizations in Education
Joining a professional education organization can provide educators with all sorts of benefits. But how can a teacher find an association in his or her content area? Watch this lesson for the benefits of field-specific organizations and how to find one.
7. Teacher Professional Development Activities
In this lesson, we will discuss why professional development is essential for teachers and types of professional development activities. We will also briefly cover state requirements and paying for professional development.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Adolescence to Young Adult (7-12) APK (003): Practice & Study Guide course
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Cognitive & Physical Development
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Sexual & Social Development
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Learning Processes
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Student Diversity
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Student Assessments
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Interpreting Assessment Data
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Curriculum Planning
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Instructional Approaches & Best Practices
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Student Motivation & Communication
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Classroom Management
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Family & Community Collaboration
- Assessment of Professional Knowledge: Educator Responsibilities
- OAE Adolescence to Young Adult Professional Knowledge Flashcards