About This Chapter
Ohio APK Early Childhood: Classroom Management - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter can help you review classroom management strategies as you prepare for the Ohio APK Early Childhood exam. The videos review all various strategies and principles that you may be asked about on the test. Some of the topics covered include:
- Classroom management techniques
- Instructional strategies
- Least restrictive environments
- Wait times and advance organizers
- Reducing undesirable behaviors
- The Premack Principle
- Behavioral strategies and conflict resolution
- Collaborative strategies
- Social responsibility in organization
Our experienced instructors present all the information you need to know in preparation for the test. Watch engaging videos, read text lessons and take self-assessment quizzes to refresh your memory of classroom management techniques as you prepare for this test.
Objectives of the Ohio APK Early Childhood: Classroom Management Chapter
The Ohio APK Early Childhood Exam evaluates your knowledge and comprehension of student development and learning; assessment, instruction and the learning environment; and the professional environment.The topics in this Classroom Management chapter fall within Domain II: Assessment, Instruction and the Learning Environment,which makes up 50% of the test score. By taking the self-assessment quizzes that come with the video lessons, you can check on your studying progress and practice with questions like those on the exam.
1. Classroom Management Techniques
Managing the classroom is a challenge that all teachers face, and the decisions and actions a teacher takes in this area are extremely influential. In this lesson, we discuss different aspects of classroom management and the importance of creating a plan before the term begins.
2. Instructional Strategies: Hands-On, Interactive, Expository & Collaborative
In this lesson, we will use the fictional Academy of Magic to illustrate four types of instructional strategies that teachers use in the classroom: expository instruction, interactive instruction, hands-on instruction and collaborative instruction.
3. Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) in Special Education: Definition & Law
This lesson explains the meaning of least restrictive environment in special education law and discuss what the implications of the law are for students and teachers.
4. Using Wait Time in the Classroom
During class discussion, is the pause between the teacher's question and the student's response important? It is, and the pause between the student's response and the teacher's reaction is also important. In this lesson, we define and discuss both types of wait time and how they can be used to optimize students' learning.
5. Advance Organizers in the Classroom: Teaching Strategies & Advantages
An advance organizer is a very useful tool for teachers to help students understand, retain and remember new learning material. In this lesson, we define an advance organizer and discuss examples and benefits of use in the classroom.
6. Reducing Undesirable Behaviors in the Classroom
This lesson covers several options for reducing bad behavior in the classroom, including time out, satiation and token economies. The lesson touches on how to use these techniques, and what to avoid when trying to encourage good behavior.
7. Applying the Premack Principle in the Classroom
The Premack Principle is a famous idea in psychology that can help teachers with classroom management. In this lesson, learn how the Premack Principle relates to what motivates us as individuals.
8. Behaviorism: Overview & Practical Teaching Examples
How can teachers use rewards and punishments to guide student behavior and learning? In this lesson, we will look at how behaviorism applies to the classroom, including the concepts of reinforcement, punishment, and extinction.
9. Conflict Resolution: Managing Conflict in Organizations
Conflict can be solved in many ways. This lesson provides an overview of the different types of conflict resolution strategies, including avoidance, accommodation, competition, compromise, and collaboration.
10. Collaborative Skills: Definition & Explanation
Find out what collaborative skills are and learn about different types of collaborative skills in this lesson. You'll receive a few tips for teaching students about collaborative skills, then you can take a quiz to test your new knowledge.
11. What Is Collaboration in the Workplace? - Definition, Benefits & Examples
Learn what collaboration in the workplace is and some of the many benefits that it can offer to both employees and companies. Find out some examples of how you can benefit through this type of collaboration.
12. Social Responsibility in Organizations
Watch this video lesson to learn how companies put into practice their social responsibilities. Learn how a socially responsible company helps the environment, people, and employees along with giving freely to society.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Early Childhood (PK-3) APK (001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Cognitive Development
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Language & Social Development
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Cognitive Learning Processes
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Teaching Special Needs Children
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Student Diversity in Education
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Assessment Strategies
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Instructional Strategies
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Curriculum Planning
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Instructional Best Practices
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Classroom Motivation & Communication
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Family & Community Involvement
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Professional Effectiveness for Educators
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Professional Development for Educators
- OAE Early Childhood Assessment of Professional Knowledge Flashcards