About This Chapter
Ohio APK Early Childhood: Professional Effectiveness for Educators - Chapter Summary
The lessons in this chapter can fit in as part of your studying strategy for the Ohio APK Early Childhood Exam. Use these engaging lessons to review trends in special education as well as ways to deal with stress at work. Review these videos to go over important information like:
- Qualities of an effective teacher
- Pros and cons of the No Child Left Behind Act
- The Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA) and Education for All Handicapped Act
- Section 504 regulations and accommodations
- Qualifations for special education services
- Title IX and gender equity
- Consequences of workplace stress and ways of dealing with it
Our experienced instructors present the important concepts and ideas through engaging video and text lessons that are clear and helpful. By learning through different modalities, your comprehension and retention of the material is likely to be greater.
Objectives of the Ohio APK Early Childhood: Professional Effectiveness for Educators Chapter
The Ohio APK Early Childhood Exam assesses what you know and understand about student development and learning; assessment instruction and the learning environment; and the professional environment. The lessons in this Professional Effectiveness for Educators chapter fall within Domain III: The Professional Environment. This domain accounts for 16% of the multiple-choice items, plus another 10% for the constructed-response item. You can gain experience with the types of questions on the test by taking the self-assessment quizzes that accompany the video lessons.
1. Becoming an Effective Teacher
Understanding the principles and theories of educational psychology is essential for teachers but simply understanding is not enough. Future teachers must embrace sound educational principles and seek opportunities for growth throughout their careers. This lesson will focus on the qualities of an effective teacher, including pedagogical content knowledge awareness, reflective teaching and action research.
2. No Child Left Behind: Summary, Pros & Cons
The No Child Left Behind Act has been both influential and controversial since it was first passed over a decade ago. But what exactly is it? In this lesson, we'll explore the No Child Left Behind Act, including its pros and cons.
3. Current Trends in Special Education
It has been estimated that 54% of students with disabilities are receiving their instruction in the regular classroom 80% or more of the day. With more students with disabilities receiving their instruction in the general education classroom, support for inclusion has increased.
4. IDEA: Individuals with Disabilities Education Act - History and Summary
It is important for all teachers to understand the 2004 Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and how it impacts students with disabilities. This lesson discusses the six main principles of IDEA and how they are implemented in the classroom.
5. Education for All Handicapped Children Act: Summary & Impact
With all the different types of people out there, how do we make sure that every child gets a good education? In this lesson, we'll examine one of the laws that tries to answer that question: the Education for All Handicapped Children Act of 1975.
6. What Are Section 504 Regulations & Accommodations in Public Schools?
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a critical piece of legislation designed to protect individuals with disabilities. In this video, we will explore the components of Section 504 as well as how it impacts school-aged students.
7. How Students Qualify for Special Education Services
Understanding how students qualify for special education services can seem like an overwhelming task, but it doesn't have to be. In this video, we will break down the basics of special education qualification in the K-12 public school system.
8. Title IX & Gender Equity: Definition & Facts
Many people have heard of Title IX with regards to athletics, but did you know that it goes way beyond just letting girls play sports? In this lesson, we'll examine the scope of Title IX and its impact on education and gender equality.
9. Consequences of Stress at Work: Physiological, Psychological & Behavioral Symptoms
Stress can affect individuals in many different ways on the job. Individual Stress consists of physiological, psychological and behavioral symptoms. All three behavioral symptoms can cause immense organizational distress.
10. How to Deal with Stress in the Workplace
Workplace stress is a mental or emotional strain on an individual due to specific work circumstances. Most individuals feel stress during their daily work. There are many techniques that can be used to help deal with stress in the workplace.
11. Employee Self-Assessment: Example & Concept
Successful people are able to use feedback from colleagues and managers to develop their skills and abilities. In this lesson, you'll learn the importance of soliciting and applying feedback from your most important critic - yourself.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Early Childhood (PK-3) APK (001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Cognitive Development
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Language & Social Development
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Cognitive Learning Processes
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Teaching Special Needs Children
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Student Diversity in Education
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Assessment Strategies
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Instructional Strategies
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Curriculum Planning
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Instructional Best Practices
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Classroom Motivation & Communication
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Classroom Management
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Family & Community Involvement
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Professional Development for Educators
- OAE Early Childhood Assessment of Professional Knowledge Flashcards