About This Chapter
Ohio APK Early Childhood: Student Diversity in Education - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in this chapter during your review of diversity among PK-3 students as you study for the Ohio APK Early Childhood exam. The lessons discuss topics such as culturally responsive teaching strategies and the role of schools in socialization, cultural innovation and integration. Additional topics include:
- Diversity definition and meaning
- Socialization agents
- Schooling theories
- Culture, socialization and culture shock effects on education
- Social mobility types
- Poverty and global stratification
- Identifying learning disabilities
- Delays in cognitive and social functioning
Our expert instructors describe all the important issues and concepts related to student diversity, so you are ready for the test. By having different ways of seeing the material presented, studying is more efficient as well as more enjoyable.
Objectives of the Ohio APK Early Childhood: Diversity in Education Chapter
The Ohio APK Early Childhood exam evaluates the depth and breadth of your knowledge of student development and learning; assessment, instruction and the learning environment; and the professional environment. You need to pass this exam as one of the steps to become licensed as a teacher in the state of Ohio. The lessons in this Diversity in Education chapter fall within Domain I, which makes up 24% of the test. You can get practice with questions like those on the exam by taking our self-assessment quizzes.
1. What is Diversity? - Definition & Meaning
This lesson defines the word diversity. It also gives examples of both visible and invisible diversity. Some examples of understanding diversity and why it is important are also discussed.
2. Functions of School: Socialization, Cultural Transmission, Integration & Latent Functions
Schools serve a number of functions in our society beyond just transmitting academic knowledge and skills. In this lesson, we differentiate between manifest and latent functions of schools and discuss examples of each.
3. Agents of Socialization: Family, Schools, Peers and Media
The socialization that we receive in childhood has a lasting effect on our ability to interact with others in society. In this lesson, we identify and discuss four of the most influential agents of socialization in childhood: family, school, peers, and media.
4. Culturally Responsive Teaching (CRT): Theory, Research & Strategies
A person's culture can impact their approach to education and the way they learn. In this lesson, we'll examine culturally responsive teaching, a teaching method that takes into account students' cultures to help them succeed.
5. Schooling: Cultural Differences in Schooling Theory
The value of education and access to it is different across cultures. In this lesson, we discuss some of the differences in schooling between lower-income and higher-income nations. We also discuss the education system and cultural values of several countries.
6. The Effect of Culture, Socialization & Culture Shock on Education
In this lesson we will explore the effect of culture on the socialization of children. We will also seek to understand the impact that culture has on their educational experiences.
7. Social Mobility Definition and Types: Intragenerational vs. Intergenerational & Vertical vs. Horizontal
In our society, some individuals and families experience drastic changes in social status and lifestyle. In this lesson, we define social mobility and discuss different types, including intragenerational, intergenerational, vertical, and horizontal mobility.
8. Poverty in the United States: Definitions of Relative & Absolute Poverty
Today, a significant number of Americans suffer from poverty. In this lesson, we define and discuss the difference between relative poverty and absolute poverty. We also examine the populations that are most at risk.
9. Global Stratification Definition: Differences in Income Levels and Poverty
In this lesson, we define global stratification and discuss how nations are stratified. We discuss the outdated three-world model as well as the current differences between high-income, middle-income, and low-income countries.
10. Learning Disabilities: How to Identify Children with a Learning Disability
Identifying children with a learning disability can be tricky because it can be confused with a lack of interest in a school subject. In this lesson, we will look at how learning disabilities can be identified and the three most common learning disabilities: dyscalculia, dysgraphia and dyslexia.
11. Cognitive & Social Functioning Delays: Adapting Instruction for Learners
When growing up, keeping pace with your classmates can be difficult, but for some it's much harder than others. In this lesson we will explore cognitive and social developmental milestones in terms of the developmental delays that affect school-age children.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Early Childhood (PK-3) APK (001): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Cognitive Development
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Language & Social Development
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Cognitive Learning Processes
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Teaching Special Needs Children
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Assessment Strategies
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Instructional Strategies
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Curriculum Planning
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Instructional Best Practices
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Classroom Motivation & Communication
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Classroom Management
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Family & Community Involvement
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Professional Effectiveness for Educators
- Ohio APK Early Childhood: Professional Development for Educators
- OAE Early Childhood Assessment of Professional Knowledge Flashcards