About This Chapter
Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Role of the Professional Educator - Chapter Summary
Watch short video lessons to refresh your knowledge of the role you play as a professional educator. These lessons can help you prepare to take the Ohio APK Middle Childhood (4-9) assessment by assisting with:
- Analyzing how to become an effective teacher
- Examining the pros and cons of the No Child Left Behind Act
- Understanding current trends in special education
- Analyzing the history of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA)
- Identifying Section 504 regulations and accommodations in public schools
- Defining Title IX and gender equity
- Understanding how to deal with stress in the workplace
The video lessons can help you fully comprehend the role of a professional educator through step-by-step expert instruction. You also have access to the unique learning experience of watching entertaining presentations that make it easy to absorb the materials.
Objectives of the Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Role of the Professional Educator Chapter
The Ohio APK Middle Childhood (4-9) assessment is designed to determine how prepared you are to secure your educator license in the state and showcase your professional knowledge of students in middle childhood. Topics covered in this chapter are located in the professional environment section of the test, which constitutes about 16% of the exam; this section also has a written assignment that makes up an additional 10%. Use the video lessons in this chapter to strengthen your awareness of your role as a professional educator then take the self-assessment quiz found with each lesson to test your comprehension of the materials.
1. Becoming an Effective Teacher
Understanding the principles and theories of educational psychology is essential for teachers but simply understanding is not enough. Future teachers must embrace sound educational principles and seek opportunities for growth throughout their careers. This lesson will focus on the qualities of an effective teacher, including pedagogical content knowledge awareness, reflective teaching and action research.
2. No Child Left Behind: Summary, Pros & Cons
The No Child Left Behind Act has been both influential and controversial since it was first passed over a decade ago. But what exactly is it? In this lesson, we'll explore the No Child Left Behind Act, including its pros and cons.
3. Current Trends in Special Education
It has been estimated that 54% of students with disabilities are receiving their instruction in the regular classroom 80% or more of the day. With more students with disabilities receiving their instruction in the general education classroom, support for inclusion has increased.
4. IDEA: Individuals with Disabilities Education Act - History and Summary
It is important for all teachers to understand the 2004 Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and how it impacts students with disabilities. This lesson discusses the six main principles of IDEA and how they are implemented in the classroom.
5. Education for All Handicapped Children Act: Summary & Impact
With all the different types of people out there, how do we make sure that every child gets a good education? In this lesson, we'll examine one of the laws that tries to answer that question: the Education for All Handicapped Children Act of 1975.
6. What Are Section 504 Regulations & Accommodations in Public Schools?
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a critical piece of legislation designed to protect individuals with disabilities. In this video, we will explore the components of Section 504 as well as how it impacts school-aged students.
7. How Students Qualify for Special Education Services
Understanding how students qualify for special education services can seem like an overwhelming task, but it doesn't have to be. In this video, we will break down the basics of special education qualification in the K-12 public school system.
8. Title IX & Gender Equity: Definition & Facts
Many people have heard of Title IX with regards to athletics, but did you know that it goes way beyond just letting girls play sports? In this lesson, we'll examine the scope of Title IX and its impact on education and gender equality.
9. Consequences of Stress at Work: Physiological, Psychological & Behavioral Symptoms
Stress can affect individuals in many different ways on the job. Individual Stress consists of physiological, psychological and behavioral symptoms. All three behavioral symptoms can cause immense organizational distress.
10. How to Deal with Stress in the Workplace
Workplace stress is a mental or emotional strain on an individual due to specific work circumstances. Most individuals feel stress during their daily work. There are many techniques that can be used to help deal with stress in the workplace.
11. Employee Self-Assessment: Example & Concept
Successful people are able to use feedback from colleagues and managers to develop their skills and abilities. In this lesson, you'll learn the importance of soliciting and applying feedback from your most important critic - yourself.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Middle Childhood (4-9) APK (002): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Cognitive Development
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Physical & Psychosocial Development
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Cognitive Learning & Special Education
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Student Diversity
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Standardized Testing
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Assessment Strategies
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Curriculum Planning
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Teaching Strategies
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Student Motivation & Communication
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Classroom Management
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Family & Community Involvement
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Professional Effectiveness for Educators
- OAE Middle Childhood Assessment of Professional Knowledge Flashcards