About This Chapter
Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Standardized Testing - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter are designed to help you brush up on your understanding of standardized testing. Upon completion of this chapter, you could be prepared to answer questions on the Ohio APK Middle Childhood (4-9) assessment that address:
- Examining the importance of assessment in education
- Identifying forms of assessment, including informal, formal, paper-pencil and performance
- Analyzing standardized assessments and formative vs. summative evaluations
- Understanding the advantages and disadvantages of standardized tests
- Defining and analyzing types of formative assessments
- Examining summative assessments
Instructors in the video lessons offer a unique form of online instruction, providing in-depth methods and definitions, while presenting the materials in a high-quality visual format. Their expertise and engaging presentation makes the learning process both comprehensive and fun.
Objectives of the Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Standardized Testing Chapter
The Ohio APK Middle Childhood (4-9) assessment ensures you are ready to secure educator licensure in the state. The topics covered in the Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Standardized Testing chapter are found in the assessment, instruction and the learning environment portion of the exam. This section constitutes about 40% of the test with an additional 10% dedicated to a written assignment. The short video lessons in this chapter can help you strengthen your knowledge of standardized testing. You can also take self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam to ensure you fully comprehend the materials.
1. The Importance of Assessment in Education
Assessment is a critical piece of the learning process. This lesson gives an overview of assessment, why it benefits both teachers and students, and the three most common forms of assessment.
2. Forms of Assessment: Informal, Formal, Paper-Pencil & Performance Assessments
Educators often need to assess students' learning and achievement. There are multiple forms of assessments that educators use to not only gain knowledge about a student's level of understanding but also to guide the direction of future lessons and course curriculum. This lesson will differentiate between formal and informal assessments and paper-pencil versus performance-based assessments used in educational settings.
3. Standardized Assessments & Formative vs. Summative Evaluations
If you have ever attended a public school or college you have been subjected to a form of standardized assessment. These assessments serve multiple purposes and provide valuable information regarding one's abilities, understanding and potential. This lesson will introduce you to the types of standardized assessments commonly used in schools and discuss two other types of assessments: formative and summative.
4. Standardized Tests in Education: Advantages and Disadvantages
Standardized tests are used frequently in educational settings. This lesson will help you understand the advantages and disadvantages of these tests and also explore factors that impact standardized test performance.
5. Formative Assessments: Examples, Types & Definition
Find out what formative assessments are and the part they play in the learning process. Learn about the types of formative assessments and review the examples. Read the lesson, then take a quiz to test your new knowledge.
6. Types of Formative Assessment
Formative assessments are an incredibly important part of the teaching process. This lesson will detail several types of formative assessments that you can use to monitor student learning in your classroom.
7. Summative Assessments: Examples & Types
Think of state exams, midterms, finals, graded papers, and standardized tests such as the SAT. They all have one thing in common - they are summative assessments! Find out more in this lesson.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Middle Childhood (4-9) APK (002): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Cognitive Development
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Physical & Psychosocial Development
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Cognitive Learning & Special Education
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Student Diversity
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Assessment Strategies
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Curriculum Planning
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Teaching Strategies
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Student Motivation & Communication
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Classroom Management
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Family & Community Involvement
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Role of the Professional Educator
- Ohio APK Middle Childhood: Professional Effectiveness for Educators
- OAE Middle Childhood Assessment of Professional Knowledge Flashcards