About This Chapter
Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Cognitive & Physical Development - Chapter Summary
Understanding how the physical and cognitive skills of adolescents are formed and how it affects other developmental areas can prepare you for potential questions on the Ohio APK Multi-Age exam. These video lessons provide both fundamental and advanced content that can help you on the test:
- Characteristics, stages and meaning of adolescence
- Jean Piaget's formal operations stage
- Cognitive development and physical growth changes during adolescence
- Secular trends in puberty development
- Adolescent health and fitness
Our instructors outline the stages and components of adolescent cognitive & physical development in convenient videos, but you can also utilize the self-assessment quizzes and lesson transcripts to confirm what you've learned.
Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Cognitive & Physical Development Chapter Objectives
The topics from the Adolescent Cognitive & Physical Development chapter are prevalent in the student development and learning area of the Ohio APK Multi-Age exam. This section makes up about 24% of the total score, The test includes 100 multiple-choice questions and two constructed-response assignments.
1. What Is Adolescence? - Definition, Stages & Characteristics
Did you know that there are three stages of adolescence? Learn more about adolescence, its stages, and the characteristics of each stage. Then test your knowledge with a quiz.
2. Cognitive Development in Adolescence: Piaget's Formal Operations Stage
As children grow into teenagers, they become better at higher level thinking skills. In this lesson, we'll look at the formal operations stage of psychologist Jean Piaget's cognitive development theory to learn how adolescents think.
3. Changes in Cognitive Development During Adolescence
Adolescence is a period of great change. Changes in the way teenagers think can cause them to do things like argue with adults. Watch this lesson for more information on the cognitive changes that occur in adolescence.
4. Physical Growth in Adolescence
Adolescents go through many physical changes. Watch this lesson to find out some of the physical developments that happen during adolescence, including those related to puberty, growth spurts and gender differences in growth.
5. The Secular Trend in Growth and Puberty Development
Teenagers go through dramatic physical changes as a part of puberty. But something odd is happening: puberty is starting earlier each generation. In this lesson, we'll look at the secular trend of puberty and its possible causes.
6. Health and Fitness in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great physical change. However, many adolescents struggle with weight. Watch this lesson to learn more about those weight issues, including how they can fight obesity and issues with eating disorders.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Multi-Age (PK-12) APK (004): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Early Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Language, Behavioral & Physical Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Middle Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Sexual & Social Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Learning Processes & Environments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Diversity
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Assessments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Interpreting Assessment Data
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Curriculum Planning
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Instructional Approaches & Best Practices
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Motivation & Communication
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Management
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Family & Community Involvement
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Educator Professionalism
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Education Oversight & Advancement
- OAE Multi-Age Assessment of Professional Knowledge Flashcards