About This Chapter
Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Sexual & Social Development - Chapter Summary
The multifaceted content of this chapter is designed to teach you about the issues, attitudes and development of sexuality and social progression in minors. We offer video lessons and other helpful tools to get you ready for the Ohio APK Multi-Age test. You can review the following topics in this chapter:
- Gender identify and gender differences
- Sexual maturity and development
- Behaviors, attitudes and values regarding adolescent sexuality
- Factors that impact sexual abuse and harassment
- Social development, decision making and risk taking in adolescence
- James Marcia's theory of identity
Learning such a heavy topic as adolescent social and sexual development is handled delicately and in an engaging manner. The instructors provide detailed examples of important issues, and you can review these items by skimming the lesson's transcripts and/or taking the self-assessment quizzes.
Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Sexual & Social Development Chapter Objectives
Topics related to or dealing with sexual and social development are covered in the Ohio APK Multi-Age test subarea of student development and learning. You should be prepared to answer questions on developmental challenges for adolescents, including sexuality and identity formation.
The entire computerized test is 180 minutes and is made up of 100 multiple-choice and two essay questions. The student development and learning section accounts for 24% of the test's score.
1. Gender Differences in Adolescent Development
Adolescence is a time of growth and change. Some of these changes are different in boys and girls, though. In this lesson, we'll examine gender differences in emotional and brain development during adolescence.
2. Gender Identity in Adolescent Development
During adolescence, teens become more and more aware of their sexuality and what it means to be part of their gender. In this lesson, we'll explore how gender identity and sexual orientation develop in adolescence.
3. Sexual Development and Maturation of the Adolescent
In this lesson, explore the changes that take place during puberty. You will meet Dick and Jane as they experience these changes, and you will be able to test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
4. Sexuality in Adolescence: Attitudes, Behaviors, & Values
Puberty brings with it many changes, including new sexual feelings. Watch this lesson to find out more about sexual development in adolescence, including the differences in how early adolescents and later adolescents approach sexuality.
5. Issues Related to Sexual Behaviors in Adolescence
Adolescence is a time of great changes in a person's life, including many choices regarding sexual activity. Watch this lesson to find out about some of the issues that can come with being sexually active in adolescence.
6. Influences of Sexual Harassment and Abuse on Adolescent Development
Amid the changes of adolescence, some teens struggle with sexual harassment. Watch this lesson to find out more about the types of sexual harassment, including sexual abuse and sexual bullying, and the effects they have on adolescents.
7. James Marcia's Identity Theory: Understanding Adolescents' Search For Identity
Do you really know what you want out of life or what your political and religious beliefs are? The psychologist James Marcia suggested that there are four identity statuses, or stages, in developing who we are as individuals. These stages are achievement, moratorium, foreclosure, and diffusion. This lesson covers Marcia's theory and each identity status.
8. Social Development of Adolescents: Identity
Adolescents often go through a process of discovering what they believe and who they are. In this lesson, we will examine how a teenager develops his or her self concept and identity. We will also take a look at common factors that influence a teen's identity.
9. Decision Making and Risk Taking Behaviors in Adolescence
Teenagers often behave in reckless ways. But why? In this lesson, we'll look at how brain development leads to risky behaviors in adolescence, including the brain systems involved and the evolutionary reason for risk-taking in teenagers.
10. Creativity and Intelligence in Adolescence
You know that emotional and physical changes take place during adolescence, but what about intellectual changes? Learn about the behavior of IQ during this time and find out why it is important to encourage creativity in adolescents.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Multi-Age (PK-12) APK (004): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Early Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Language, Behavioral & Physical Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Middle Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Cognitive & Physical Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Learning Processes & Environments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Diversity
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Assessments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Interpreting Assessment Data
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Curriculum Planning
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Instructional Approaches & Best Practices
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Motivation & Communication
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Management
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Family & Community Involvement
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Educator Professionalism
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Education Oversight & Advancement
- OAE Multi-Age Assessment of Professional Knowledge Flashcards