About This Chapter
Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Management - Chapter Summary
Let us help in your review of classroom management techniques, instructional strategies, conflict resolution and workplace collaboration as you prepare for the Ohio APK Multi-Age exam. Our videos and quizzes can assist you in correctly answering exam questions on the following topics:
- Strategies for classroom management
- Hands-on, interactive, expository and collaborative instructional strategies
- Least restrictive environment in special education
- benefits of advance organizers in the classroom
- The Premack principle
- Conflict resolution practices
- Benefits of workplace collaboration
This chapter's lessons were designed by experts familiar with what is required for success on the exam. They've included many examples to clarify these topics, and video tags in the lessons make it easy to return to key spots for further review.
Objectives of the Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Management Chapter
Passing the Ohio APK Multi-Age exam is a step in obtaining a license to teach in this state. The exam is divided into three domains, and the material this chapter covers is included in questions in domain II: Assessment, Instruction, and the Learning Environment. The multiple-choice questions in this domain account for 40% of the exam's total score, while the constructed response case study question makes up an additional 10% of the total score.
You can prepare to answer the computer-delivered multiple-choice questions, such as the ones you'll face on this exam, by taking the quizzes in each of our lessons. These quizzes also let you assess your learning and figure out where you might need additional study prior to test day.
1. Classroom Management Techniques
Managing the classroom is a challenge that all teachers face, and the decisions and actions a teacher takes in this area are extremely influential. In this lesson, we discuss different aspects of classroom management and the importance of creating a plan before the term begins.
2. Instructional Strategies: Hands-On, Interactive, Expository & Collaborative
In this lesson, we will use the fictional Academy of Magic to illustrate four types of instructional strategies that teachers use in the classroom: expository instruction, interactive instruction, hands-on instruction and collaborative instruction.
3. Least Restrictive Environment (LRE) in Special Education: Definition & Law
This lesson explains the meaning of least restrictive environment in special education law and discuss what the implications of the law are for students and teachers.
4. Using Wait Time in the Classroom
During class discussion, is the pause between the teacher's question and the student's response important? It is, and the pause between the student's response and the teacher's reaction is also important. In this lesson, we define and discuss both types of wait time and how they can be used to optimize students' learning.
5. Advance Organizers in the Classroom: Teaching Strategies & Advantages
An advance organizer is a very useful tool for teachers to help students understand, retain and remember new learning material. In this lesson, we define an advance organizer and discuss examples and benefits of use in the classroom.
6. Reducing Undesirable Behaviors in the Classroom
This lesson covers several options for reducing bad behavior in the classroom, including time out, satiation and token economies. The lesson touches on how to use these techniques, and what to avoid when trying to encourage good behavior.
7. Applying the Premack Principle in the Classroom
The Premack Principle is a famous idea in psychology that can help teachers with classroom management. In this lesson, learn how the Premack Principle relates to what motivates us as individuals.
8. Behaviorism: Overview & Practical Teaching Examples
How can teachers use rewards and punishments to guide student behavior and learning? In this lesson, we will look at how behaviorism applies to the classroom, including the concepts of reinforcement, punishment, and extinction.
9. Conflict Resolution: Managing Conflict in Organizations
Conflict can be solved in many ways. This lesson provides an overview of the different types of conflict resolution strategies, including avoidance, accommodation, competition, compromise, and collaboration.
10. Collaborative Skills: Definition & Explanation
Find out what collaborative skills are and learn about different types of collaborative skills in this lesson. You'll receive a few tips for teaching students about collaborative skills, then you can take a quiz to test your new knowledge.
11. What Is Collaboration in the Workplace? - Definition, Benefits & Examples
Learn what collaboration in the workplace is and some of the many benefits that it can offer to both employees and companies. Find out some examples of how you can benefit through this type of collaboration.
12. Social Responsibility in Organizations
Watch this video lesson to learn how companies put into practice their social responsibilities. Learn how a socially responsible company helps the environment, people, and employees along with giving freely to society.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Multi-Age (PK-12) APK (004): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Early Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Language, Behavioral & Physical Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Middle Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Cognitive & Physical Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Sexual & Social Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Learning Processes & Environments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Diversity
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Assessments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Interpreting Assessment Data
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Curriculum Planning
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Instructional Approaches & Best Practices
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Motivation & Communication
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Family & Community Involvement
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Educator Professionalism
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Education Oversight & Advancement
- OAE Multi-Age Assessment of Professional Knowledge Flashcards