About This Chapter
Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Motivation & Communication - Chapter Summary
Let us help you prepare for Ohio APK Multi-Age questions on topics related to the role of motivation in learning and steps in the communication process. These videos offer a review of the following topics that may assist you on the exam:
- Why motivation is important to education
- Intrinsic and extrinsic motivation
- Goal orientation theory
- Social-cognitive learning
- Teacher expectations
- The communication process
- Teaching creativity
You can review these lessons on a computer or mobile device as your schedule allows. Each lesson includes a written transcript, as well as a quiz that allows you to test your comprehension of the information.
Objectives of the Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Motivation & Communication Chapter
Ohio requires passing the Ohio APK Multi-Age exam as a condition for licensing to teach many subjects, including drama, physical education and some types of special education. The exam contains three domains, and questions on the material in this chapter can be found in the Assessment, Instruction, and the Learning Environment domain. This domain includes multiple-choice questions that make up 40% of the exam's total score and a case study that accounts for 10% of the score.
You can get experience answering these types of multiple-choice questions with the quizzes that accompany each of our lessons. These quizzes also let you assess your knowledge and see what requires extra study before test day.
1. The Importance of Motivation in an Educational Environment
In this lesson, you'll see how motivation affects learning. Discover the behaviors and perspectives that relate to motivation in an educational environment.
2. The Role of Motivation in Self-Regulated Learning
Do you monitor and evaluate your own learning? Do you alter the way you study based on performance on assessments? If so, you are engaging in self-regulation practices and, by doing so, increasing the likelihood of academic achievement. This lesson will define self-regulation, discuss the cyclical process of self-regulation and explore methods to promote self-regulation in the classroom.
3. Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivation in Education: Definition & Examples
Intrinsic and extrinsic are the two types of motivation. Learn more about intrinsic and extrinsic motivation from definitions and examples, then test your knowledge with a quiz.
4. Using Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivation to Enhance Learning
Why do you want to learn about educational psychology? Do you enjoy reading about different theories and practices? Do you have to pass this class in order to receive a degree? Our behaviors are driven by intrinsic and extrinsic motivation. In this lesson, distinguish between these types of motivation and learn how they can enhance learning.
5. Goal Orientation Theory: How Goals Affect Student Motivation & Behavior
What academic goals do you set for yourself? Are you driven by interest in the academic discipline or by extrinsic factors, such as receiving a higher salary because you have a degree? You may be driven by both. This lesson will explore goals and how they affect student motivation and behavior.
6. Social-Cognitive Learning Theory: Definition and Examples
Have you learned behaviors or skills from observing others? Maybe you have learned from observing a teacher, friend, or supervisor. We acquire new knowledge and skills from a variety of methods. This lesson will introduce the concepts of the social-cognitive theory, which focuses on the learning that occurs within a social context.
7. Teacher Expectations & Attributions
Attributions for success and failure drive future expectations for learning and success. Students attribute their successes or failures to a number of factors. Teachers also make attributions for student performance. This lesson will explore teacher expectations and attributions that affect classroom and individual student performance.
8. What is Communication? - Definition & Importance
Any task or transaction that requires more than one person can only be successfully completed with communication. In this lesson, you'll learn what communication is, types of communication and the importance of communication.
9. What is the Communication Process? - Definition & Steps
Communication is a process, and if the process breaks down, communication will fail. In this lesson, you'll learn about the communication process. We'll also discuss how the concept of noise can disrupt this process.
10. Effective Questioning Techniques in the Classroom
Asking questions is one of the best ways to promote student learning, no matter the age group! This lesson will help you understand how to figure out what questions to ask and when, as well as how to make effective questioning a part of your teaching that you can do instinctively.
11. Teaching Creativity in the Classroom
Creativity is such an important part of any learning experience. This lesson will help you feel comfortable with your own creativity and will give you some ideas for incorporating opportunities for creative growth into your classroom.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Multi-Age (PK-12) APK (004): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Early Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Language, Behavioral & Physical Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Middle Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Cognitive & Physical Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Sexual & Social Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Learning Processes & Environments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Diversity
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Assessments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Interpreting Assessment Data
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Curriculum Planning
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Instructional Approaches & Best Practices
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Management
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Family & Community Involvement
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Educator Professionalism
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Education Oversight & Advancement
- OAE Multi-Age Assessment of Professional Knowledge Flashcards