About This Chapter
Ohio APK Multi-Age: Curriculum Planning - Chapter Summary
Use the lessons in the chapter to reinforce your mastery of curriculum planning, including teaching literacy to English language learners (ELL), as you study for the Ohio APK Multi-Age exam. You'll have a chance to brush up on the following topics with our videos and quizzes:
- Definition of curriculum
- Benefits of integrated curriculum
- Pedagogical content knowledge
- Strategies for cooperative learning
- Individualized Education Plans (IEP)
- Teaching reading and vocabulary to ELL students
- Using data to inform instruction
Our instructors are experts who have created engaging lessons that are filled with examples of what's being discussed. Each lesson includes a written transcript, allowing you to read along with the video.
Objectives of the Ohio APK Multi-Age: Curriculum Planning Chapter
In Ohio, passing the APK Multi-Age exam is one of the requirements for licensing to teach many subjects, including computer information science, drama, foreign languages, dance and some types of special education. This exam contains three domains, and questions on the topics this chapter covers are in the Assessment, Instruction, and the Learning Environment domain. The multiple-choice questions in this domain account for 40% of the exam's total score. This domain also includes a case study, and questions on it make up another 10% of the score.
You can practice answering multiple-choice questions with the quizzes in our lessons. These brief quizzes also allow you to assess your learning and find out where you need extra review prior to taking the exam.
1. What is Curriculum?
Teachers are often asked to design or work with particular curricula, but rarely do we get a chance to talk about what curriculum actually is. This lesson gets you toward a definition and gives you a few key guiding points to work with.
2. What is Curriculum & Instruction?
Learn about two guiding educational concepts that impact students everywhere. This lesson will explain what you need to know about curriculum and instruction.
3. Identifying the Scope of Curriculum Development
Curriculum can be overwhelming if you as a teacher are unable to define its scope. In this lesson, you will learn to identify the scope of curriculum development and think about how the scope impacts your work within a curriculum.
4. Continuity, Sequence & Integration in Quality Curriculum
In this lesson, you can learn about three major elements of quality curriculum design. Imagine examples of how to apply these ideas to the classroom, improving your ability to connect past, present, and future learning.
5. What is Core Curriculum?
Educational experts have worked to define curriculum content for more than two decades. This focus has determined what is core at each grade level while maintaining academic ownership for educators. Learn more about core curriculum in education here.
6. Instructional Planning: Quality Materials & Strategies
Teachers need multiple resources and methods in order to effectively plan instruction. In this lesson, we will discuss the importance of quality instructional materials and teaching strategies.
7. Integrated Curriculum: Definition, Benefits & Examples
Have you ever wondered what and how an integrated curriculum works? Learn about this hot topic that is shaping how teachers teach and students learn in the classroom.
8. Pedagogical Content Knowledge: Definition & Explanation
In this lesson, we'll define pedagogical content knowledge and its positive impact on students. We will also describe its specific features, like teaching with clear illustrations and being aware of student conceptions of the subject.
9. Comparing Learning Goals & Learning Objectives
Learning goals and learning objectives are often confused. Though similar, each is distinct with its own place in education. This lesson compares the two and discusses how to define them to help students succeed in the classroom.
10. Developing Measurable Learning Objectives
This lesson provides a brief overview of the purpose of learning objectives and how to make them useful to both you and students. We use the SMART learning objective formula to demonstrate accountability using examples.
11. Teaching Resources & Curriculum Materials in Instructional Design
Successful teachers design rich learning opportunities for students. This lesson identifies and discusses the use of teaching resources and curriculum materials to design learning experiences.
12. What is Cooperative Learning? - Definition & Methods
Find out what cooperative learning is and learn about its different elements. Examine how to apply cooperative learning methods in the classroom. After the lesson, you can test your understanding with a quiz.
13. What Is Cooperative Learning in the Classroom? - Strategies, Benefits & Definition
Cooperative learning is a technique that allows students to learn from each other and gain important interpersonal skills. Learn more about the benefits, strategies, and techniques involved in cooperative learning.
14. Using Data to Inform Instruction
This lesson highlights how data is used to improve student achievement through instruction, assessment, analysis, and re-teaching. A short quiz will follow to test your knowledge.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Multi-Age (PK-12) APK (004): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Early Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Language, Behavioral & Physical Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Middle Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Cognitive & Physical Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Sexual & Social Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Learning Processes & Environments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Instructing ELLs & Students with Exceptionalities
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Diversity
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Assessments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Interpreting Assessment Data
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Instructional Approaches & Best Practices
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Motivation & Communication
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Management
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Family & Community Involvement
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Educator Professionalism
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Education Oversight & Advancement
- OAE Multi-Age Assessment of Professional Knowledge Flashcards