About This Chapter
Ohio APK Multi-Age: Early Childhood Development - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll learn about fundamental early childhood education concepts and advanced topics, such as creativity and intelligence in children and the role of play in cognitive development. Understanding the major points can help you answer questions on the Ohio APK Multi-Age test. Topics covered here include:
- Benefits of early childhood education programs
- Theories behind human growth and development
- Role of cognitive development in children
- Vygotsky's cognitive development theory
- Jean Piaget's preoperational stage
- Multiple intelligences
- Developmental, social cognitive, behavioral and constructivist perspectives
Learn about that factors that contribute to early childhood development through fun and engaging videos. Our experienced instructors lead you through examples and include illustrations for easier recollection.
Ohio APK Multi-Age: Early Childhood Development Chapter Objectives
As part of the state's teacher licensing or certification process, the Ohio APK Multi-Age exam has testing areas in student development and learning; the professional environment; and assessment, instruction and the learning environment.
Topics related to this Early Childhood Development chapter are covered in the student development and learning area. You may encounter questions on how the natural trajectory of human development affects the growth of children at an early age. Other testing areas related to early childhood development include instructional strategies/learning goals, cognitive development, external influences and developmental challenges.
Within 180 minutes, you'll need to write two essays and answer 100 multiple-choice questions. Taking advantage of the self-assessment quizzes and video lessons can assist you in measuring what you know about this topic before you take the test.
1. Early Childhood Education: Programs and Benefits
Many children go to preschool or Head Start as part of their early childhood. In this lesson, we'll look at what early childhood education is and two developmental reasons why it can be beneficial: brain development and the zone of proximal development.
2. Human Growth and Development Theories
This lesson will give you an overview of the major human development theories. You will briefly examine their strengths and weaknesses and meet a few key figures from each theory.
3. Behavioral, Cognitive, Developmental, Social Cognitive & Constructivist Perspectives
How do different people learn? Not everyone agrees. In educational psychology, there are many differing perspectives. This lesson will differentiate between the following psychological perspectives: behavioral, cognitive, developmental, social cognitive and constructivist.
4. What is Gardner's Theory of Multiple Intelligences?
Which types of intelligence do you identify with? As you watch this video on Gardner's theory of multiple intelligences, you'll learn that intelligence can be a diverse concept not limited to one area.
5. Lev Vygotsky's Theory of Cognitive Development
The role of culture and social interactions are imperative to cognitive development, according to psychologist, Lev Vygotsky. This lesson will discuss how social interactions play a role in cognitive development of children, provide an overview of Vygotsky's cultural-historical theory and describe the stages of speech and language development.
6. Cognitive Development in Children: Conservation, Decentration & Centration
As children grow, so do their thinking skills, knowledge, and learning. Watch this lesson to learn about how young children develop cognitively, including the key cognitive concepts of centration, decentration, and conservation.
7. The Role of Play in Cognitive Development
When we think of childhood, we often think of playing. But did you know that playing is vital to a child's healthy development? In this lesson, we will learn about the various types of play that aid a child's cognitive growth.
8. Piaget's Preoperational Stage and Symbolic Thought
Psychologist Jean Piaget formed much of the theory of childhood development that we still use today. Here, we'll examine Piaget's preoperational stage of development, from ages two to four, and the changes in thinking that happen during this time.
9. Child Creativity and Intelligence
What is an IQ score? What do these scores mean? What role does creativity play in a child's development? Explore these concepts with this lesson and test your knowledge with a quiz at the end.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Multi-Age (PK-12) APK (004): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Language, Behavioral & Physical Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Middle Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Cognitive & Physical Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Sexual & Social Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Learning Processes & Environments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Diversity
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Assessments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Interpreting Assessment Data
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Curriculum Planning
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Instructional Approaches & Best Practices
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Motivation & Communication
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Management
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Family & Community Involvement
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Educator Professionalism
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Education Oversight & Advancement
- OAE Multi-Age Assessment of Professional Knowledge Flashcards