About This Chapter
Ohio APK Multi-Age: Educator Professionalism - Chapter Summary
Use these lessons to revive your understanding of current issues in education, such as the No Child Left Behind legislation and trends in special education, as you prepare for the Ohio APK Multi-Age exam. Our videos and quizzes can help you correctly answer exam questions on the following topics:
- Characteristics of an effective teacher
- Arguments for and against No Child Left Behind
- The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and the Education for All Handicapped Children Act
- Section 504 regulations and accommodations
- Title IX and gender equity
- How to deal with workplace stress
- Self-assessment for educators
These engaging lessons can be studied on a computer or mobile device, whenever you have a few minutes. You can move through the chapter at your own pace, stopping to review key topics when needed.
Objectives of the Ohio APK Multi-Age: Educator Professionalism Chapter
Passing the Ohio APK Multi-Age exam is one of the state's requirements for licensing to teach many subjects. The exam is divided into three domains, and questions on the topics in the Educator Professionalism chapter are in The Professional Environment domain. The multiple-choice questions in this domain accounts for 16% of the exam's total scoring. A work product constructed-response question in this domain makes up an additional 10% of the score.
The quizzes that accompany our lessons may give you an idea of what taking a computer-delivered multiple-choice test will be like. Additionally, these quizzes allow you to gauge your learning and see what areas call for extra study prior to exam day.
1. Becoming an Effective Teacher
Understanding the principles and theories of educational psychology is essential for teachers but simply understanding is not enough. Future teachers must embrace sound educational principles and seek opportunities for growth throughout their careers. This lesson will focus on the qualities of an effective teacher, including pedagogical content knowledge awareness, reflective teaching and action research.
2. No Child Left Behind: Summary, Pros & Cons
The No Child Left Behind Act has been both influential and controversial since it was first passed over a decade ago. But what exactly is it? In this lesson, we'll explore the No Child Left Behind Act, including its pros and cons.
3. Current Trends in Special Education
It has been estimated that 54% of students with disabilities are receiving their instruction in the regular classroom 80% or more of the day. With more students with disabilities receiving their instruction in the general education classroom, support for inclusion has increased.
4. IDEA: Individuals with Disabilities Education Act - History and Summary
It is important for all teachers to understand the 2004 Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and how it impacts students with disabilities. This lesson discusses the six main principles of IDEA and how they are implemented in the classroom.
5. Education for All Handicapped Children Act: Summary & Impact
With all the different types of people out there, how do we make sure that every child gets a good education? In this lesson, we'll examine one of the laws that tries to answer that question: the Education for All Handicapped Children Act of 1975.
6. What Are Section 504 Regulations & Accommodations in Public Schools?
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 is a critical piece of legislation designed to protect individuals with disabilities. In this video, we will explore the components of Section 504 as well as how it impacts school-aged students.
7. How Students Qualify for Special Education Services
Understanding how students qualify for special education services can seem like an overwhelming task, but it doesn't have to be. In this video, we will break down the basics of special education qualification in the K-12 public school system.
8. Title IX & Gender Equity: Definition & Facts
Many people have heard of Title IX with regards to athletics, but did you know that it goes way beyond just letting girls play sports? In this lesson, we'll examine the scope of Title IX and its impact on education and gender equality.
9. Consequences of Stress at Work: Physiological, Psychological & Behavioral Symptoms
Stress can affect individuals in many different ways on the job. Individual Stress consists of physiological, psychological and behavioral symptoms. All three behavioral symptoms can cause immense organizational distress.
10. How to Deal with Stress in the Workplace
Workplace stress is a mental or emotional strain on an individual due to specific work circumstances. Most individuals feel stress during their daily work. There are many techniques that can be used to help deal with stress in the workplace.
11. Employee Self-Assessment: Example & Concept
Successful people are able to use feedback from colleagues and managers to develop their skills and abilities. In this lesson, you'll learn the importance of soliciting and applying feedback from your most important critic - yourself.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Multi-Age (PK-12) APK (004): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Early Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Language, Behavioral & Physical Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Middle Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Cognitive & Physical Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Sexual & Social Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Learning Processes & Environments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Diversity
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Assessments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Interpreting Assessment Data
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Curriculum Planning
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Instructional Approaches & Best Practices
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Motivation & Communication
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Management
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Family & Community Involvement
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Education Oversight & Advancement
- OAE Multi-Age Assessment of Professional Knowledge Flashcards