About This Chapter
Ohio APK Multi-Age: Language, Behavioral & Physical Development - Chapter Summary
Use this chapter's lessons to refresh your knowledge of the processes of language, behavior and physical development as you study for the Ohio APK Multi-Age exam. Our videos and self-assessment quizzes can help you with questions on the following topics:
- Language development in children
- How environment and culture influence language development
- Impact of social issues and self-esteem on early childhood development
- Classroom applications of moral and prosocial behavior
- Abnormal human development
- How developmental abnormalities impact learning
- Definition of physical development
These lessons take just a few minutes to complete, and you can watch on a computer or mobile device. Our format allows you to progress as your schedule allows, and video tags make it simple to review particular areas without having to re-watch the entire lesson.
Objectives of the Ohio APK Multi-Age: Language, Behavioral & Physical Development Chapter
Passing the Ohio APK Multi-Age exam is one of the requirements for certain teaching licenses in this state. The exam is segmented into three domains, and the questions on the topics in this chapter are in the Student Development and Learning domain, which accounts for 24% of the exam's total score.
All the questions in this domain are multiple choice, and the exam is computer delivered. The quizzes that accompany our lessons are also in this format. In addition to providing experience in test taking, the quizzes allow you to assess your learning and see where you require additional study.
1. Linguistics: Language Development in Children
How does a baby's babble turn into intelligible speech? Are there underlining innate traits that drive language development in children? Or is it the social interaction with others that encourages language development? This lesson will explore these questions and discuss how aspects of language change over time.
2. The Effects of Environment and Culture on Language Development
Both environmental and cultural factors have an impact on early language development. This lesson will provide examples to consider and discuss possible reasons for this impact.
3. Common Issues with Elementary School Children
While childhood is meant to be a happy time, there are many children for whom it is a time of emotional difficulty. This lesson looks into some challenges that are common to elementary-aged children.
4. Social Issues that Impact Early Childhood Development
Young children are growing and changing every day as part of early childhood development. But what happens when issues get in the way of development? Watch this video for more information on how divorce and parental substance abuse can affect children.
5. Social Development of Children: Self-Esteem
The social development of children has a strong influence on self-esteem. In this lesson, we will explore the way children feel about themselves and look into several ways caretakers can improve a child's self-esteem.
6. Moral & Prosocial Behavior: Definitions & Examples of Classroom Applications
Caring, volunteering, empathizing with others: these are all traits of moral and prosocial behavior. As children age, they develop such moral and prosocial behaviors and traits. This lesson will define these key terms and discuss ways to promote moral and prosocial behavior in the classroom.
7. Abnormal Human Development: Definition & Examples
Abnormal development occurs when a person develops an unusual pattern of behavior, emotion or thought. In this lesson, you will learn what abnormal development is, how it is determined and examine different examples.
8. Developmental Abnormalities in Children: Effects & Impacts on Learning
Developmental abnormalities in children have an impact on their learning and social skills. Examine an example in this lesson that will help you learn about the importance of early intervention.
9. What is Development? - Growth, Maturation & Learning
To many people, terms like development, growth, maturation, and learning all mean the same thing. In this lesson, we'll learn the subtle differences between each of these terms and how they apply to human life.
10. What Is Physical Development? - Definition and Examples
Everyone grows and changes throughout their lives. In this lesson, we'll look at some important times in physical development, including childhood and old age, and how physical development contributes to other types of development.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - Multi-Age (PK-12) APK (004): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Early Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Middle Childhood Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Cognitive & Physical Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Adolescent Sexual & Social Development
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Learning Processes & Environments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Diversity
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Student Assessments
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Interpreting Assessment Data
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Curriculum Planning
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Instructional Approaches & Best Practices
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Motivation & Communication
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Classroom Management
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Family & Community Involvement
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Educator Professionalism
- Ohio APK Multi-Age: Education Oversight & Advancement
- OAE Multi-Age Assessment of Professional Knowledge Flashcards