About This Chapter
Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Informational Texts - Chapter Summary
Simplify the process of preparing for the Ohio Assessments English Language Arts test by watching the short video lessons in this chapter. You can brush up on how to analyze informational texts to ensure you're prepared to address the following on the exam:
- Defining and identifying characteristics of informational text
- Examining types of informational writing
- Identifying and analyzing text structure
- Analyzing the journal article
- Understanding how to evaluate sources for reliability, credibility and worth
- Defining author credibility and summary
- Determining how to read and interpret line graphs
The video lessons provide detailed instruction that help you fully comprehend the concepts you need to succeed on the exam. The lessons are presented in a high-quality visual format that makes the learning process entertaining.
Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Informational Texts Chapter Objectives
The Ohio Assessments English Language Arts test is designed to gauge your comprehension of the subject to ensure you're ready to teach in the classroom setting and obtain your teaching license in the state. The topics covered in the Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Informational Texts chapter are found in the vocabulary, reading comprehension and reading various text forms portion of the exam, which constitutes approximately 23% of the total text. You can utilize the resources found in this chapter to prepare for the test, including the short video lessons, video transcripts, self-assessment quizzes and chapter exam. Instructors are also available to answer any questions you may have.
All of the questions on the assessment are multiple-choice and based on specific test competencies. The majority of questions are presented as a short paragraph, sentence, phrase or question. Following each question is a set of four answers, one of which you will be required to choose as the best option.
1. What is Informational Text? - Definition, Characteristics & Examples
This lesson will help you understand and identify all components of informational text. Learn more about informational text and see examples in this lesson.
2. Informational Writing: Types & Samples
In this lesson, we will define informational writing, examine the purpose of this type of writing and explore the features of different kinds of informational texts.
3. How to Identify & Analyze Text Structure
Understanding the organization of a piece of writing is imperative to gain a full understanding of the author's message. In this lesson, we'll learn how to identify and analyze several common text structures.
4. What is a Journal Article? - Examples & Overview
Find out what journal articles are and how they're different from other article types. Learn how they can be used in your research papers and essays. Read the lesson, and then take a quiz to test your new knowledge.
5. Evaluating Sources for Reliability, Credibility, and Worth
It's important to have information that is reliable, credible, and worthwhile in your speech. Sometimes, it's hard to determine these factors. This lesson will help you!
6. Author Credibility: Definition & Examples
Find out what author credibility is and how it makes a difference to your research paper. Learn how to determine author credibility and where to find reliable sources.
7. What is a Summary? - Definition & Concept
In this lesson you'll learn what summaries are and how they differ from other forms of condensed writing. You'll also be shown an example of a summary, and what should and should not be included in a summary paragraph.
8. Determining Facts vs. Opinion in a Text
This lesson will explain how to distinguish between fact and opinion. We'll define the two terms, learn how to determine whether a statement is a fact or an opinion, and practice this skill.
9. Reading and Interpreting Line Graphs
Watch this video lesson to find out how useful line graphs can be and how much information you can gain just from looking at one. Learn how you can apply that information in your own life to help you make better decisions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - English Language Arts (020): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio Assessments ELA: The Meaning of Words
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Vocabulary Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Influences on Language
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Figures of Speech
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Organization & Structure
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Elements of Plot
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Themes & Main Ideas
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Point of View
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Persuasive Texts
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Reading Technical Texts
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Literary Genres
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Nonfiction
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Types of Fiction
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Literary Drama
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Poetry
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Prose
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Parts of Speech
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Phrases & Clauses
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Types of Sentences
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Modifiers
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Grammar & Punctuation
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Comma Rules
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Spelling Rules
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Clear & Concise Writing
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Essay Writing
- Ohio Assessments ELA: The Writing Process
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Elements of Research Writing
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analytical Writing Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Public Speaking Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Viewing & Presenting Visual Media
- Ohio Assessments for Educators English Language Arts Flashcards