About This Chapter
Ohio Assessments ELA: Essay Writing - Chapter Summary
The comprehensive video lessons in this chapter can assist in your preparation for the Ohio Assessments English Language Arts test by reviewing essay writing. The lessons cover the following:
- Examining essay organization and outline building
- Defining the thesis statement
- Understanding how to write the essay introduction with a thesis
- Engaging readers by picking up and developing an appeal
- Writing a strong essay body and transition sentences
- Structuring an argument in your essay
- Analyzing best practices for creating introductions and conclusions
Instructors provide the methods you need to competently address essay writing concepts on the exam. The lessons are presented in a comprehensive, yet entertaining fashion that makes the learning process fun.
Objectives of the Ohio Assessments ELA: Essay Writing Chapter
Ohio assesses your readiness to obtain your teaching license in the state and instruct students on English language arts with the Ohio Assessments for Educators English Language Arts test. To help you prepare for the exam, this Ohio Assessments ELA: Essay Writing chapter covers topics found in the English language conventions, composition, writing process and research section, as well as the modes of writing section, which constitute approximately 19% and 23% of the exam, respectively.
The video lessons in this chapter can assist with preparing for these sections by offering insight into the various definitions and methods associated with essay writing. After completing each lesson, you can take self-assessment quizzes to test your comprehension of the materials and gain access to questions formatted similarly to those you will encounter on exam day. The test is composed of all multiple-choice questions that typically take the form of a short paragraph, sentence or question related to the analysis of English language arts.
1. Essay Organization and Outline Building
Creating an outline before writing an academic essay doesn't take that long to do and can greatly improve the quality of your essay. This lesson covers the basics of how to put together an effective outline that will cover all of the right points.
2. What is a Thesis Statement?
Before we can talk about how to write a great thesis statement, you need to be able to identify a great thesis when you see one. Contrary to what you may have been taught, a thesis is so much more than just the last sentence of the opening paragraph of an essay.
3. Essay Introduction: Write a Thesis and Capture Your Audience
We'll look at the importance of the introductory paragraph and engaging your audience through the use of attention getters, a bridge, and an arguable thesis. Three of the most common attention getters are specifically defined, and examples are provided in this lesson.
4. How to Engage Readers by Picking and Developing an Appeal
There are three types of appeals that you can use in your persuasive writing to make your arguments more effective. In this video, you'll learn about logical, ethical, and emotional appeals as well as how to use them.
5. How to Write a Strong Essay Body
This video will show you how to achieve unified, coherent body paragraphs in your essays. By creating well-developed body paragraphs, your essays will be cleaner, sharper and earn you a better grade!
6. How to Write and Use Transition Sentences
Like a road map, transitions guide readers through your essay. This lesson examines the way writers transition between sentences, within paragraphs and between paragraphs to make for a smooth reading experience.
7. How to Structure an Argument in Your Essay
When you write a persuasive essay, it's important to think about how you'll construct your argument, from how you'll arrange your major points to how and where you'll refute opposing views. This video covers some of the basics for structuring an argument.
8. Introductions and Conclusions: Best Practices and Advice
Take the opportunity in your introductory and concluding paragraphs to create good impressions. This lesson walks you through a variety of methods for making the most of the first and last paragraphs in your academic essay.
9. Common Writing Pitfalls and How to Avoid Them
In addition to all the other things you do while writing an academic essay, you'll need to think about how to avoid common pitfalls. This lesson discusses how to steer clear of some common problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - English Language Arts (020): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio Assessments ELA: The Meaning of Words
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Vocabulary Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Influences on Language
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Figures of Speech
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Organization & Structure
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Elements of Plot
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Themes & Main Ideas
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Point of View
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Informational Texts
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Persuasive Texts
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Reading Technical Texts
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Literary Genres
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Nonfiction
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Types of Fiction
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Literary Drama
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Poetry
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Prose
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Parts of Speech
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Phrases & Clauses
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Types of Sentences
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Modifiers
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Grammar & Punctuation
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Comma Rules
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Spelling Rules
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Clear & Concise Writing
- Ohio Assessments ELA: The Writing Process
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Elements of Research Writing
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analytical Writing Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Public Speaking Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Viewing & Presenting Visual Media
- Ohio Assessments for Educators English Language Arts Flashcards