About This Chapter
Ohio Assessments ELA: Reading Technical Texts - Chapter Summary
The video lessons in this chapter on reading technical texts are designed to help refresh your knowledge of the subject as you get ready for the Ohio Assessments English Language Arts test. Use the lessons to answer questions on the exam covering these topics:
- Defining technical texts
- Identifying types of technical documents
- Understanding definitions and uses of informational and analytical reports
- Analyzing unilateral contracts
- Examining warranties under the uniform commercial code
- Describing textual and non-textual scientific presentations
- Interpreting scientific data tables
The video lessons can help you fully comprehend the topics in this chapter with the help of our expert instructirs and entertaining visual effects. This well-rounded approach to online learning can boost your confidence as you prepare for the exam.
Objectives of the Ohio Assessments ELA: Reading Technical Texts Chapter
The Ohio Assessments English Language Arts test assesses your readiness to secure state educator licensure and teach the subject in the classroom. The topics covered in this Ohio Assessments ELA: Reading Technical Texts chapter are located in the Vocabulary, Reading Comprehension and Reading Various Text Forms portion of the exam, which constitutes approximately 23% of the total exam questions and score. You can take advantage of the engaging video lessons in this chapter to strengthen your knowledge of reading technical texts in preparation for the exam. Video transcripts are also available to help you further review the materials. Take the self-assessment quizzes and a chapter exam to gauge your comprehension of the materials. If you have any questions, our instructors are available to assist.
All of the questions on the assessment are multiple-choice and take the form of short paragraphs, sentences or questions. Many are accompanied by an excerpt, passage or illustration. Each question is followed by four responses. You will be asked to choose the single best answer.
1. Technical Text: Definition & Examples
Don't worry; we don't have to get too technical to figure out just what a technical text really is. See how easy they can be to deal with in this lesson, where you'll see technical texts defined, as well as a few examples!
2. Types of Technical Documents
There are many different types of technical documents. Which technical document you choose to create depends on your audience and your purpose. This video will explain the three main categories of technical documents and provide examples for each.
3. Informational and Analytical Reports: Definition and Uses
In this lesson, you will learn the difference between informational and analytical reporting and their specific uses in the business world in order to help make decisions.
4. Unilateral Contract: Definition & Example
Once you complete this lesson, you'll have an understanding of what a unilateral contract is. You'll examine the definition of unilateral contract, as well as review an example.
5. Warranties Under the Uniform Commercial Code
The Uniform Commercial Code's Article 2 covers contracts for the sale of goods. Article 2 contains warranties included as part of the sale of goods. This lesson explains the difference between express warranties and implied warranties.
6. Understanding Textual & Non-Textual Scientific Presentations
In order to understand science, you have to know science. This knowledge includes understanding the various ways that scientific information may be presented as well as how to critically analyze that information.
7. Interpreting Graphs and Charts of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Do charts and graphs make problem-solving difficult? Complex problems with visual representations can drain your brain during a test. In this lesson, learn three simple rules for solving problems with charts and graphs. We'll try them out as we walk through two sample problems.
8. Interpreting Tables of Scientific Data: Practice Problems
Complex table problems getting you down? Multi-question, situational problems don't have to be a drag on your testing performance. Learn how to apply three simple rules as we walk through two table problems together.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio Assessments for Educators - English Language Arts (020): Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio Assessments ELA: The Meaning of Words
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Vocabulary Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Influences on Language
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Figures of Speech
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Reading Comprehension Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Organization & Structure
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Elements of Plot
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Themes & Main Ideas
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Point of View
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Informational Texts
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Persuasive Texts
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Literary Genres
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Nonfiction
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Fiction
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Types of Fiction
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Literary Drama
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Poetry
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analyzing Prose
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Parts of Speech
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Phrases & Clauses
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Types of Sentences
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Modifiers
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Grammar & Punctuation
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Comma Rules
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Spelling Rules
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Clear & Concise Writing
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Essay Writing
- Ohio Assessments ELA: The Writing Process
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Elements of Research Writing
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Narrative Writing Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Expository Writing Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Persuasive Writing Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Analytical Writing Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Effective Listening Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Public Speaking Strategies
- Ohio Assessments ELA: Viewing & Presenting Visual Media
- Ohio Assessments for Educators English Language Arts Flashcards