About This Chapter
Ohio EOCE Algebra I: Linear Equations - Chapter Summary
When studying for the Ohio EOCE - Algebra I exam, it's good to feel capable of answering any questions you face. This chapter gets you up to speed with linear equations and ensures you're able to address questions that ask you to:
- Describe the different parts of a graph
- Define the linear equation and discuss its relationship with intercepts and standard form
- Understand abstract algebraic examples and how to go from a graph to a rule
- Show how to graph undefined slope, zero slope and more
- Write a linear equation
- Solve linear equations with literal coefficients
- Use linear equations to problem solve
The resources in this chapter make it easy for you to study for the exam in the manner and at the pace you prefer. Access lessons as entertaining videos with fun visual and audio effects or full transcripts with easily identifiable vocabulary words. Review them any time and in any sequence you desire. To test your knowledge of linear equations, take the lesson quizzes in this chapter. A practice chapter exam is also available to strengthen your comprehension of lesson concepts.
1. What Are the Different Parts of a Graph?
Being able to read a graph isn't just vital for an algebra class. Graphs and charts are used everywhere! We'll take a crash course on the basic x/y plane used in algebra and the fundamental vocab you need.
2. What is a Linear Equation?
Most cars won't be able to run for more than 250,000 miles, so how much longer will your car live? Linear Equations are the most basic kind of algebraic function and can help you answer questions exactly like this. Learn about what they look like, how they come up in your life and why they are powerful tools.
3. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
4. Abstract Algebraic Examples and Going from a Graph to a Rule
Just because you now know what a linear equation is doesn't mean that you are a master! This video will help you learn how to apply your knowledge of linear equations in more abstract algebraic ways.
5. Graphing Undefined Slope, Zero Slope and More
There are two special cases when it comes to slopes on the xy plane: horizontal and vertical lines. Without any more information, these examples can be pretty confusing. But with a little instruction, they end up being some of the easiest lines to graph!
6. How to Write a Linear Equation
Simply knowing how to take a linear equation and graph it is only half of the battle. You should also be able to come up with the equation if you're given the right information.
7. Solving Linear Equations: Practice Problems
With practice, linear equations can be straightforward to solve. In this lesson, we'll define linear equations and learn how to solve them. We'll look at multiple practice problems and walk through solving each one.
8. Solving Linear Equations with Literal Coefficients
In this lesson, we'll literally learn about literal coefficients. We'll look at how to solve linear equations that contain literal coefficients and practice solving several problems.
9. Problem solving using Linear Equations
From sale prices to trip distances, many real life problems can be solved using linear equations. In this lesson, we'll practice translating word problems into linear equations, then solving the problems.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio End of Course Exam - Algebra I: Test Prep & Practice course
- Ohio EOCE Algebra I: Algebraic Expressions
- Ohio EOCE Algebra I: Linear Inequalities
- Ohio EOCE Algebra I: Quadratic Equations
- Ohio EOCE Algebra I: Exponents & Exponential Functions
- Ohio EOCE Algebra I: Polynomials & Binomials
- Ohio EOCE Algebra I: Rational Expressions & Equations
- Ohio EOCE Algebra I: Systems of Equations & Matrices
- Ohio EOCE Algebra I: Sequences & Series
- Ohio End of Course Exam - Algebra I Flashcards