About This Chapter
Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Exponential & Logarithmic Expressions - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, we'll take a look at exponential and logarithmic expressions as they may appear on the Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I exam. We'll make sure you have a solid foundation with these concepts before moving on to applying them to practice problems. Our professional instructors will help you review:
- The definition of exponential functions
- Defining exponential growth vs exponential decay
- Evaluating logarithms
- Logarithmic properties
- Solving exponential and logarithmic equations
These short and engaging video lessons featuring professional instructors will guide you through these topics. This chapter, like the others in this course, is designed specifically with the Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I exam in mind. Thanks to our video tags, you'll have no problem jumping between concepts so you can focus on areas that you're struggling in. Once you think you know the topics, test out your knowledge with our self-assessment quizzes.
1. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
2. Exponential Growth vs. Decay
How is it that it only takes four years for our computer to go from top-of-the-line to almost worthless? Well, it has something to do with what's called exponential decay, which we'll learn about here!
3. What is a Logarithm?
Logarithms can help you solve exponential functions. In this lesson, you will learn about how to work with and recognize logarithms, and how to use logarithm notation with an example problem about earthquakes!
4. How to Evaluate Logarithms
Using this lesson, you can get practice evaluating logarithms, as well as learn some of the shortcuts behind writing and estimating them. You can also learn how to use your calculator to evaluate logarithms, and learn about a concept called the change of base theory.
5. Logarithmic Properties
Along with the change of base property, there are three other logarithmic properties that allow you to manipulate expressions to your advantage. Learn about the product rule, quotient rule and power rule here.
6. Practice Problems for Logarithmic Properties
As you get further and further into mathematics, logarithms will appear more and more. It's the point of this lesson to get you used to dealing with them and able to know what to do when you see a whole line of paper full of them!
7. How to Solve Exponential Equations
Read this lesson to learn the steps you need to take to solve exponential equations. You'll see that it's not too difficult; you just need to make use of one other mathematical operation in order to solve your problems.
8. How to Solve Logarithmic Equations
If you're ever picking out a telescope to see your favorite planet, make sure you do the math first! Learn how to solve the logarithmic equation that will get you the size telescope you want.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio End of Course Exam - Integrated Math I: Test Prep & Practice course
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Basic Math
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Decimals & Percents
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Inequalities
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Solving Linear Equations
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Systems of Linear Equations
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Distributing Terms in Algebra
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Exponents
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Polynomials
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Rational Expressions
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: FOIL & Quadratic Equations
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Functions Overview
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Matrices & Absolute Value
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Square Roots
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Basic Algebra
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Rotations
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Foundations of Geometry
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Theorems & Proofs
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Complex Numbers
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Factorials & Binomial Theory
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math I: Sequences & Series
- Ohio End of Course Exam - Integrated Math I Flashcards