About This Chapter
Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Exponentials & Logarithms - Chapter Summary
Studying for the Ohio EOCE - Integrated Math II exam can require exploring concepts you haven't reviewed in awhile. To make sure you're prepared for questions related to exponentials and logarithms, watch the entertaining video lessons in this chapter. When finished, you will be able to:
- Define an exponential function
- Differentiate between growth and decay
- Explain the meaning and how to evaluate logarithms
- Describe and solve problems related to logarithm properties
- Solve exponential and logarithmic equations
This chapter is perfect for the student who loves to study at a comfortable pace. You have the freedom to review the lessons in any sequence and at any time you desire. If you prefer your study materials in a written format, feel free to access full transcripts of the video lessons. Gauging your understanding of the lessons is also simple thanks to the short quiz available with each lesson. After utilizing these resources, you'll feel confident in your ability to address exponentials and logarithms on the exam.
1. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
2. Exponential Growth vs. Decay
How is it that it only takes four years for our computer to go from top-of-the-line to almost worthless? Well, it has something to do with what's called exponential decay, which we'll learn about here!
3. What is a Logarithm?
Logarithms can help you solve exponential functions. In this lesson, you will learn about how to work with and recognize logarithms, and how to use logarithm notation with an example problem about earthquakes!
4. How to Evaluate Logarithms
Using this lesson, you can get practice evaluating logarithms, as well as learn some of the shortcuts behind writing and estimating them. You can also learn how to use your calculator to evaluate logarithms, and learn about a concept called the change of base theory.
5. Logarithmic Properties
Along with the change of base property, there are three other logarithmic properties that allow you to manipulate expressions to your advantage. Learn about the product rule, quotient rule and power rule here.
6. Practice Problems for Logarithmic Properties
As you get further and further into mathematics, logarithms will appear more and more. It's the point of this lesson to get you used to dealing with them and able to know what to do when you see a whole line of paper full of them!
7. How to Solve Exponential Equations
Read this lesson to learn the steps you need to take to solve exponential equations. You'll see that it's not too difficult; you just need to make use of one other mathematical operation in order to solve your problems.
8. How to Solve Logarithmic Equations
If you're ever picking out a telescope to see your favorite planet, make sure you do the math first! Learn how to solve the logarithmic equation that will get you the size telescope you want.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio End of Course Exam - Integrated Math II: Test Prep & Practice course
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Basic Math Review
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Solving Word Problems
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Polynomials
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Solving Quadratic Equations
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Graphing Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Functions in Math
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Graphing Functions
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Rational Expressions
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Matrices
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Sequences & Series
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Complex Numbers
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Advanced Coordinate Geometry
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Three-Dimensional Geometry
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Overview of Trigonometry
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Calculating Probability & Permutations
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Working with Data & Statistics
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Calculating the Standard Deviation
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Logic in Mathematics
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Understanding Limits
- Ohio End of Course Exam - Integrated Math II Flashcards