About This Chapter
Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Functions in Math - Chapter Summary
If you want to improve your skills in working with math functions, these lessons will be very helpful. The information you will come across in this chapter will be similar to the information you will encounter on the Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II exam. Some topics you will study include inverse functions and piecewise functions. Other topics include:
- How to identify and notate functions
- Domain vs. range
- Applying basic math to functions
- Composing functions
- Inverse functions
- Composite functions
- How to apply operations
- How to manipulate functions
- Piecewise functions
- Graphing piecewise functions
- How to translate piecewise functions
Our informative and engaging video lessons are also quick, with none lasting longer than 10 minutes. They are taught by professional instructors who are experts in their field. There is also a timeline feature with every lesson, which allows you to jump around to different parts of the video lesson. This makes it easy to review just the parts that discuss topics you are struggling to understand without having to watch the entire lesson. This will save you time in the long run and will enhance your studying experience.
1. Functions: Identification, Notation & Practice Problems
A function is simply a rule that takes one number and turns it into another. But some special conditions must apply for it to be a true mathematical function. Learn about those conditions and how we write functions here!
2. Transformations: How to Shift Graphs on a Plane
What is a transformation? Well, it's something that transforms one function into another! To see what I mean and how that looks, check out this lesson!
3. What Is Domain and Range in a Function?
The domain and range are the possible outputs and inputs of a function. In this lesson, learn about what might restrict the domain and how to figure out the domain and range from a graph.
4. How to Add, Subtract, Multiply and Divide Functions
Adding, subtracting, multiplying and dividing functions is about as simple as substituting in expressions and then just doing whichever operation it asks you to do. Check out this video lesson to see some examples of this and learn just how easy it is!
5. How to Compose Functions
Function composition is the process of putting two or more functions together. This video lesson will explain how this process works and also show you how to evaluate functions that have been composed.
6. Inverse Functions
Inverse functions are two functions that do exactly opposite things. Check out this lesson to learn about how to write inverse functions, find inverse functions, and predict whether or not they exist.
7. How to Evaluate Composite Functions
Sometimes a math function depends on the outcome of another function. This lesson breaks down this chain reaction, called a composite function, and how to evaluate them.
8. Applying Function Operations Practice Problems
In this lesson, learn how to apply all the different properties of functions to solve complex problems. From function operations and composition to domain and range, get your practice here!
9. Manipulating Functions and Solving Equations for Different Variables
Functions can be manipulated to solve for many different variables. There are certain rules to follow, but if the rules are adhered to, solving equations can be quite simple. This lesson will show you how.
10. What are Piecewise Functions?
A piecewise function is a certain type of function that is made up of different parts. This lesson will define and describe piecewise functions and teach you how to identify them and how to write them.
11. How to Find the Domain of Piecewise Functions
The domain of any function is all the values that x can be for that function. Piecewise functions are special functions that have different parts with unique rules for each part. This lesson will show you how to find the domain for piecewise functions.
12. How to Graph Piecewise Functions
Piecewise functions are specific functions that have more than one piece. There is a special trick to graphing these type of functions, which you will learn in this lesson.
13. Translating Piecewise Functions
Piecewise functions are two or more functions that only use part of a domain. If these functions need to be changed, we can translate them without even having to know the equation.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio End of Course Exam - Integrated Math II: Test Prep & Practice course
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Basic Math Review
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Basic Algebraic Expressions
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Solving Word Problems
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Polynomials
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Solving Quadratic Equations
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Absolute Value Equations & Inequalities
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Graphing Linear Equations & Inequalities
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Graphing Functions
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Rational Expressions
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Matrices
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Sequences & Series
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Exponentials & Logarithms
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Complex Numbers
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Advanced Coordinate Geometry
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Three-Dimensional Geometry
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Overview of Trigonometry
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Calculating Probability & Permutations
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Working with Data & Statistics
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Calculating the Standard Deviation
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Logic in Mathematics
- Ohio EOCE Integrated Math II: Understanding Limits
- Ohio End of Course Exam - Integrated Math II Flashcards