About This Chapter
Ohio State Test - Physical Science: The Periodic Table - Chapter Summary
If you have not gone over the periodic table in a while, then you need this chapter to help you recall such topics as the elemental groups and how they relate to one another. To get in shape for related questions on the Ohio State Test for physical science, use our extensive study guide to review the following topics:
- Characteristics of groups on the periodic table
- Properties of metalloid elements
- Main group elements compared to transition metals
- Energy levels of atoms and valance electrons
- Determining molecular formulas with ions and atoms
Your early memories about learning and memorizing the periodic table may make you dread studying about it now as you prep for the Ohio State Test for physical science. Luckily, we have found a way to make this topic fun and manageable. Instead of those endless lectures you may have gotten in class, we provide miniaturized lessons that each address one group of the periodic table at a time. Some of our lessons even incorporate exciting videos that are sure to keep you interested during those late-night study sessions.
1. The Periodic Table: Properties of Groups and Periods
How is the periodic table like the map you used on your last road trip? In this lesson, you will be introduced to the periodic table, the road map of chemists. We will discuss how the elements are organized and how you can use this organization to identify some of their major physical properties.
2. Metalloid Elements on the Periodic Table: Definition & Properties
The metalloid elements are found in the middle of the periodic table at the point where the metals and nonmetals meet. In this lesson, you'll learn the definition of a metalloid, as well as the properties that these unique elements possess.
3. Transition Metals vs. Main Group Elements: Properties and Differences
Which is better: to be steadfast and consistent or to be a colorful chameleon? This lesson compares and contrasts the main group elements and the transition metals. Then make your own decision!
4. Valence Electrons and Energy Levels of Atoms of Elements
The periodic table contains a wealth of information. This lesson will explain how to use it to quickly determine the most useful information about the most important electrons. We will be focusing our discussion on valence electrons and energy levels.
5. Using Atoms and Ions to Determine Molecular Formulas
In this lesson, you will learn how atoms and ions determine molecular formulas. You will understand how molecular formulas tell information about the type and quantity of atoms involved in a molecule. Lastly, we will discuss how to write a molecular formula for an ionic compound.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Practice & Study Guide course
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Matter
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Atomic Structure
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Chemical Bonds
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Chemical Reactions
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Nuclear Reactions
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Energy
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Waves & Sound
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Electromagnetic Waves
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Thermal Physics
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Electricity
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Motion
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Force
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Dynamics
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: The Universe
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science: Stars
- Ohio State Test - Physical Science Flashcards