About This Chapter
Old Kingdom of Ancient Egypt - Chapter Summary
Study the history of ancient Egypt's Old Kingdom with this helpful collection of lessons and quizzes. Our expert history instructors walk you through this era of history and outline topics such as the unification of Upper and Lower Egypt, the First and Second Intermediate Period, the periods' pharaohs and more. After studying this chapter, you should be able to:
- Understand how Upper and Lower Egypt became unified
- Outline the developments that occurred during Egypt's Early Dynastic Period
- Summarize the historical timeline of Egypt's Old Kingdom, as well as its Second Intermediate Period
- Evaluate the geography, environment, developments and achievements of Old Kingdom Egypt
- Name the pharaohs that ruled during Egypt's First Intermediate Period
To supplement your studying experience and help you retain these historical topics, we've included interactive lesson quizzes and a comprehensive chapter exam. If you need to revisit a lesson, you can easily find and navigate to it from your course Dashboard. Work through the chapter at your own pace and feel free to reach out to our instructors if you have any questions.
1. The Unification of Upper & Lower Egypt
Before there was a single Egypt, there were Upper and Lower kingdoms. The unification of these kingdoms started the true era of ancient Egyptian history, and in this lesson we'll talk about what we know about this, as well as what we don't.
2. Early Dynastic Period of Ancient Egypt
The ancient Egyptians lived in one of the most powerful civilizations of the ancient world, but how did this happen? In this lesson, explore the origins of Egyptian civilization, and see how it paved the way for a mighty empire to arise.
3. Old Kingdom of Ancient Egypt: Timeline & Facts
The Old Kingdom, from ca. 2649-2150 BCE, saw Ancient Egypt ruled by a strong, centralized government. The pyramids at Giza, built during the Old Kingdom, are a visible indicator of the strength of the pharaoh. This lesson offers a timeline and major cultural developments of Old Kingdom history.
4. Old Kingdom Egypt: Geography & Environment
A lot changed for Egypt in the Old Kingdom, and this was made possible by the geography and environment of the region. In this lesson, we'll see how the land both helped and hindered Egyptian development, and explore the ways that the pharaohs sought to use their lands.
5. Egyptian Development & Achievements: 2686-2160 BCE
The third millennium BCE saw the rise of Egypt as an increasingly prosperous unified state under successive dynasties. This lesson examines the developments of this Old Kingdom period, covering politics, architecture, trade, and religion.
6. Egypt's First Intermediate Period: Timeline & Pharaohs
Ancient Egypt is often remembered for advanced civilization and powerful pharaohs who ruled with absolute power. In this lesson, we'll examine a time when this wasn't quite the case.
7. Timeline of Egypt's Second Intermediate Period
Ancient Egypt covers a 3,000-year period of wealth and power. At least, most of it does. In this lesson, we'll look at one of the periods of major instability as Egyptian pharaohs were replaced by foreign conquerors.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the HSC Ancient History: Exam Prep & Syllabus course
- Cities of Vesuvius: Pompeii & Herculaneum
- New Kingdom of Ancient Egypt
- Ancient Egyptian Economy & Society
- Ancient Egyptian Culture & Customs
- Important Ancient Egyptian Personalities
- Ancient Assyria Overview
- Israel & Judah from Solomon to the Fall of Jerusalem
- Ancient Israel Overview
- Important Near East Personalities
- Persia from Cyrus II to Darius III
- Ancient Persia Overview
- Ancient Minoans
- Mycenaean Civilization
- Ancient Greece from 500-399 BC
- Ancient Greece: Athens Overview
- Ancient Greece: Sparta Overview
- 4th Century Greece Till the Death of Philip II of Macedon
- Important Ancient Greek Personalities
- Ancient Rome from 264 to 31 BC
- Ancient Rome from 44 BC to AD 235
- Important Ancient Roman Personalities
- HSC Ancient History Flashcards