About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Linear Equations and Inequalities chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the mathematical concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the mathematics topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Intercepts, standard form and graphing of linear equations
- How to solve one-step linear inequalities
- Steps for solving and graphing one-variable inequalities
- Methods for solving linear equations with literal coefficients
- The process for rewriting literal equations
- Ways to solve two-step linear inequalities
- How to solve and graph two-variable inequalities
On Core Mathematics is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Linear Equations: Intercepts, Standard Form and Graphing
Do you know what to do if an equation doesn't look like y=mx+b?! If not, then this video is for you. Chances are the equation is in standard form, so we'll learn how to use standard form equations, how to graph them and why they can be helpful.
2. Solving One-Step Linear Inequalities
In this video lesson, you will learn how you can solve any kind of linear inequality that only requires one step. Learn when you need to subtract, when you need to add, when you need to multiply, and when you need to divide.
3. How to Solve and Graph One-Variable Inequalities
In this lesson, we will learn that solving inequalities is very similar to solving equations, but the solutions to inequalities are not so similar. Learn how to graph these solutions to better understand inequalities.
4. Solving Linear Equations with Literal Coefficients
In this lesson, we'll literally learn about literal coefficients. We'll look at how to solve linear equations that contain literal coefficients and practice solving several problems.
5. How to Rewrite Literal Equations
In this lesson, we will define literal equations and learn how to rewrite them to solve for different variables. We will review different examples including some commonly used formulas.
6. Solving Two-Step Linear Inequalities
After watching this video lesson, you will be able to solve any kind of linear inequality problem where you only have to perform two steps. You will know in what order to perform each step and you will know just what kind of operation you need to do.
7. Solving and Graphing Two-Variable Inequalities
With an inequality like y < 2x - 3, where do we start? We can look at y = 2x - 3 and graph it. We can use the graph to define all of the possible solutions.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Harcourt On Core Mathematics - Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 1: Algebraic Modeling and Unit Analysis
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 3: Systems of Equations and Inequalities
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 4: Linear Functions
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 5: Exponential Functions
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 6: Piecewise and Absolute Value Functions
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 7: Quadratic Functions of the Form of f(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 8: Quadratic Functions of the Form of f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 9: Data Analysis