About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Linear Functions chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the mathematical concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after finishing each video and text lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, review the lessons until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the mathematics topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Discrete, continuous and inverse functions
- The method for finding and applying the slope of a line
- How to transform linear and absolute value functions
- Ways to compose functions and apply function operations
- Correlation and the correlation coefficient
- Simple linear regression
On Core Mathematics is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Discrete & Continuous Functions: Definition & Examples
After this lesson, you will understand the differences between discrete functions and continuous functions. You'll learn the one criterion that you need to look at to determine whether a function is discrete or not.
2. How to Find and Apply The Slope of a Line
In this lesson, we'll discover all about the slopes of lines. We'll learn about different types of slopes and how to find the slopes of lines. We'll use two methods: the slope formula and the slope-intercept form.
3. Transforming Linear & Absolute Value Functions
In this lesson, we'll find out what happens to the graph of a line when the values of the slope and y-intercept are changed in an equation. We'll also discuss what happens when you change values in the equation of an absolute value function.
4. How to Compose Functions
Function composition is the process of putting two or more functions together. This video lesson will explain how this process works and also show you how to evaluate functions that have been composed.
5. Applying Function Operations Practice Problems
In this lesson, learn how to apply all the different properties of functions to solve complex problems. From function operations and composition to domain and range, get your practice here!
6. Inverse Functions
Inverse functions are two functions that do exactly opposite things. Check out this lesson to learn about how to write inverse functions, find inverse functions, and predict whether or not they exist.
7. Correlation: Definition, Analysis & Examples
Correlation describes the relationship between two sets of data. In this lesson, we'll delve into what correlation is and the different types of correlation that can be encountered.
8. The Correlation Coefficient: Definition, Formula & Example
The correlation coefficient is an equation that is used to determine the strength of the relationship between two variables. This lesson helps you understand it by breaking the equation down.
9. Simple Linear Regression: Definition, Formula & Examples
Simple linear regression is a great way to make observations and interpret data. In this lesson, you will learn to find the regression line of a set of data using a ruler and a graphing calculator.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Harcourt On Core Mathematics - Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 1: Algebraic Modeling and Unit Analysis
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 2: Linear Equations and Inequalities
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 3: Systems of Equations and Inequalities
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 5: Exponential Functions
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 6: Piecewise and Absolute Value Functions
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 7: Quadratic Functions of the Form of f(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 8: Quadratic Functions of the Form of f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 9: Data Analysis