About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Piecewise and Absolute Value Functions chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the piecewise and absolute value functions concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the algebra topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Piecewise functions
- Absolute value functions
- Graphing and transforming absolute values
- Solving absolute value equations
- Graphing dilations and reflections
On Core Mathematics is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. What are Piecewise Functions?
A piecewise function is a certain type of function that is made up of different parts. This lesson will define and describe piecewise functions and teach you how to identify them and how to write them.
2. Absolute Value Function: Definition & Examples
The absolute value function shows up in the world around us in many different areas. In this lesson, we will define the absolute value function, look at its characteristics, observe its graph, and look at some examples involving this function.
3. How to Graph an Absolute Value and Do Transformations
Absolute value graphs normally look like the letter 'V', but transformations can change that 'V' in a number of different ways. As well as teaching you how to graph absolute values, this video will focus on a specific group of transformations called translations. Learn all about what that means here!
4. How to Solve an Absolute Value Equation
Once you get familiar with any new operation, the next step in any algebra class is to learn how to solve equations with that operation in them. Absolute values are no different. Solve absolute value equations here!
5. Graphing Absolute Value Equations: Dilations & Reflections
Although a basic absolute value graph isn't complicated, transformations can make them sufficiently confusing! In this lesson, you'll practice different transformations of absolute value graphs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Harcourt On Core Mathematics - Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 1: Algebraic Modeling and Unit Analysis
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 2: Linear Equations and Inequalities
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 3: Systems of Equations and Inequalities
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 4: Linear Functions
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 5: Exponential Functions
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 7: Quadratic Functions of the Form of f(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 8: Quadratic Functions of the Form of f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 9: Data Analysis