About This Chapter
How It Works:
- Find the lesson within this chapter that corresponds to what you're studying in the Data Analysis chapter of your textbook.
- Watch fun videos that cover the mathematical concepts you need to learn or review.
- Complete the quiz after watching each video lesson to test your understanding.
- If you need additional help, rewatch the videos until you've mastered the material, or submit a question for one of our instructors.
You'll learn all of the mathematics topics covered in the textbook chapter, including:
- Steps for calculating mean, median, mode and range
- Data sets and normal distribution of data
- Histograms in math
- Box plots
- Two-way tables
On Core Mathematics is a registered trademark of Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. How to Calculate Mean, Median, Mode & Range
Measures of central tendency can provide valuable information about a set of data. In this lesson, explore how to calculate the mean, median, mode and range of any given data set.
2. Spread in Data Sets: Definition & Example
Identifying the spread in data sets is a very important part of statistics. You can do this several ways, but the most common methods are through range, interquartile range, and variance.
3. Normal Distribution of Data: Examples, Definition & Characteristics
In this lesson, we'll explore the normal distribution of data. Learn about the characteristics of normal distribution, how to plot histograms, the empirical rule, and more.
4. What is a Histogram in Math? - Definition & Examples
Watch this video lesson to see how useful a histogram can be when you need to show a bunch of data in an easy to read format. Also, learn how you can easily gather the information you need from looking at a histogram.
5. Creating & Interpreting Box Plots: Process & Examples
Box plots are an essential tool in statistical analysis. This lesson will help you create a box plot and understand its meaning. When you are finished, test your understanding with a short quiz!
6. What is a Two-Way Table?
Do you believe in Martians? Do you watch football on television? A Two-Way Table or Contingency Table is a great way to show the results of all kinds of survey questions. In this video we will learn how to read a two-way table.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Harcourt On Core Mathematics - Algebra 1: Online Textbook Help course
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 1: Algebraic Modeling and Unit Analysis
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 2: Linear Equations and Inequalities
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 3: Systems of Equations and Inequalities
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 4: Linear Functions
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 5: Exponential Functions
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 6: Piecewise and Absolute Value Functions
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 7: Quadratic Functions of the Form of f(x) = a(x-h)^2 + k
- On Core Mathematics Algebra 1 Unit 8: Quadratic Functions of the Form of f(x) = ax^2 + bx + c