About This Chapter
Oncology Basics and Terms - Chapter Summary and Learning Objectives
A diagnosis of cancer is among those we fear most. That's why oncology, the study of cancer, is so vital to helping us understand what causes different forms of cancer -- and how to destroy them. In this chapter, you'll explore neoplasia and learn about tumors, breast cancer, and lymphomas. The lessons also discuss the medical response to cancer. Study this chapter to find out about:
- How neoplasia forms
- What the difference between benign and malignant tumors is
- How breast cancer develops and is diagnosed
- What the different types of lymphoma are
- What cancer treatment methods are available
|What is Neoplasia? - Definition, Types & Examples||Learn about abnormal cell growth and types of neoplasia.|
|Important Concepts Related to Tumors||Explore important terms related to tumors, including the grading system used for their development.|
|What is Lymphoma? - Hodgkin's Lymphoma vs Non-Hodgkin's||Find out the effects of and difference between Hodgkin's lymphoma and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.|
|Breast Cancer: Development, Risk Factors & Prevention||Get details on how breast cancer forms and what factors increase the risk of its development.|
|Breast Cancer: Screening, Diagnosis, Treatment & Prognosis||Learn about self-exams, diagnostic procedures and treatment methods for breast cancer.|
|Breast Cancer: Types, Signs & Symptoms||Get info on types of breast cancer and the signs or symptoms that may occur.|
|Diagnosis & Detection of Cancer||Explore self-checks, screening tests, and biopsies used to detect cancer.|
|Medical Terminology of Cancer Treatment||Find out about medications and surgical procedures used to treat cancer.|
1. What is Neoplasia? - Definition, Types & Examples
This lesson will discuss the concept of neoplasia. We'll specifically talk about the differences between benign tumors, carcinoma in situ, and malignant tumors. This lesson will also define metastasis and oncology and show examples of different types of malignant and benign tumors.
2. Important Concepts Related to Tumors
This lesson defines the differences between neoplasia, tumor, benign tumor, malignant tumor, and explains general rules on how to tell a malignant vs. benign tumor apart based on name only.
3. What is Lymphoma? - Hodgkin's Lymphoma vs non-Hodgkin's
Are you confused about the actual difference between Hodgkin's lymphoma and non-Hodgkin's lymphoma? This lesson will succinctly clarify the difference between the two and define related terms at the same time!
4. Breast Cancer: Development, Risk Factors & Prevention
Do you know why breast cancer occurs? What factors affect its possible development? This lesson will tell you as we look into what breast cancer is, its many risk factors, and preventative strategies.
5. Breast Cancer: Screening, Diagnosis, Treatment & Prognosis
Some types of lumps and their locations in breast cancer have better prognoses than others. There are multiple ways to try and catch breast cancer early, diagnose it, and treat it properly. You'll learn about all of this in this lesson.
6. Breast Cancer: Types, Signs & Symptoms
Do you know that there is more than one kind of breast cancer? Which one is most common? Do you know where breast cancer commonly spreads to? You'll learn about all this, as well as tips on how you can tell a bad lump in the breast versus one that's less likely to be cancerous, in this lesson.
7. Diagnosis & Detection of Cancer
Did you know your body can actually try to destroy you? We have ways of detecting this early to save ourselves from ourselves! Be it self-exams or biopsies, terms related to the diagnosis and detection of cancer are discussed in this lesson.
8. Medical Terminology of Cancer Treatment
Can you name the three most well-known general classes of cancer treatments? Do you know that they all have different subtypes? This lesson will explore some of the major cancer treatments.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Medical Terminology: Help & Review course
- Fundamentals of Medical Terminology
- Basic Suffixes, Prefixes & Roots in Medical Terminology
- Terminology for Direction, Planes & Regions of the Body
- Pathology Basics & Vocabulary
- Vocabulary Basics for Genetics, Cells & Structures
- Medical Terms for the Lymphatic & Immune Systems
- Medical Terminology for the Skeletal System
- Vocabulary for the Muscular System & Its Functions
- Vocabulary for the Cardiovascular System
- Terminology for the Respiratory System, Diseases & Treatments
- Terminology for Diagnosis & Treatment of Respiratory Diseases
- Medical Vocabulary for the Gastrointestinal System
- Terms for GI Tract Pathologies
- GI Tract Diagnosis & Treatment Terminology
- Medical Terms for the Urinary System
- Terminology of the Nervous System
- Terms for Nervous System-Related Conditions
- Terminology for Diagnostics & Treatments of the Nervous System
- Medical Terms Related to the Eyes
- Medical Terminology Related to the Ears
- Terminology for the Integumentary System
- Terminology for The Endocrine System & Hormones
- Endocrine Gland Disorder Vocabulary
- Pancreatic Disorder Vocabulary
- Adrenal Gland Disorder Terminology
- Male Reproductive System & STDs: Medical Terminology
- Female Reproductive System: Medical Terminology
- Medical Terminology for Major Pathogens
- Medical Terminology Used for Diagnosis & Pharmacology