About This Chapter
Online Connectivity & Security for Nursing Informatics - Chapter Summary
This collection of bite-sized lessons examines the importance of online connectivity and security in nursing informatics. Taught by expert instructors, these lessons evaluate various search engines and Internet collaboration platforms that are used in healthcare settings, as well as data breach and computer security threat topics. Following each lesson is a short quiz to help you reinforce your understanding of the material. Work through the chapter at your own pace, and submit questions to our instructors if you need any help. You can use any computer or mobile device to study, and the chapter is available to access at any time that fits your schedule. By the end of the chapter, you should be able to:
- Describe the role of HIPAA and PIH in medical technology
- Use search engines for online research
- Recognize Internet collaboration platforms
- Differentiate between Intranet and Extranet
- Evaluate several security policy frameworks
- Assess healthcare data breaches
- Understand how individuals and organizations can prevent computer security threats
1. Using Search Engines for Online Research
The Internet can be a resource that saves you time, but if you don't know how to use it properly, it can be a frustrating experience. In this lesson, you will learn about how to properly find supporting materials online with research tips and tricks.
2. Internet Collaboration: Second Life, VOIP, Video Conferencing, Virtual Reality & Telepresence
Today, individuals and businesses are collaborating and interacting online from dispersed locations. Many technologies make it possible to communicate, learn, conduct business, and socialize with people from anywhere in the world. This lesson will discuss various Internet collaboration tools and virtual reality concepts.
3. Intranet and Extranet: Comparing Information and Data Dissemination
Organizations rely upon intranets and extranets to share information, communicate with employees, suppliers and customers, and enable collaboration on projects. This lesson explains how intranets and extranets work. It introduces the topics of virtual private networks, tunneling and firewalls.
4. What Is a Security Policy? - Definition, Examples & Framework
In the IT world, we protect an organization by having a strong, well-defined security policy. In this lesson, we'll examine how to create an effective policy that protects assets, employees, and data.
5. Data Breaches in Healthcare
More and more, data breaches are starting to happen to healthcare records as often as financial records. This lesson explains why that could be more dangerous for consumers.
6. Computer Security & Threat Prevention for Individuals & Organizations
Computer security and threat prevention is essential for individuals and organizations. Effective security measures can reduce errors, fraud, and losses. This lesson will explore unintentional threats and intentional threats. Various security measures and defenses will be explored, including encryption, firewalls, anti-virus, anti-spyware, passwords, back-ups, and biometric security.
7. The Role of HIPAA & PHI When Using Technology
You will have heard about HIPAA, if you are employed by a healthcare facility, a health insurance company or any company that may see medical records because of the services they provide. Your daily work is affected by HIPAA rules of privacy and security. Let's learn about HIPAA.
8. Required Assignments Reminder
Sorry for the interruption to your course progress! We wanted to make sure you knew this course has a written assignment requirement in order to be completed. Read on to learn where to find these assignments and how to submit them.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Nursing 301: Nursing Informatics course
- Informatics & Information Systems in Healthcare
- Computer Hardware for Nursing Informatics
- Basic Computer Software for Nursing Informatics
- Data Standards in Healthcare
- Patient-Centered Information Technology
- Nursing & Educational Informatics
- Informatics Literacy & Challenges in Nursing
- The Future of Nursing Informatics
- Required Assignments for Nursing 301
- Studying for Nursing 301