About This Chapter
Online Marketing & Advertising - Chapter Summary
Online marketing and advertising may be carried out in many forms. This chapter gives you a guide to different strategies for online marketing and advertising. Instructors in this chapter will teach you about different methods and their level of effectiveness in digital marketing. Video lessons help you engage with the material and quizzes are available for you to test your knowledge. When you're finished with the chapter, you should be able to:
- Explain the concept of pay-per-click and how it's used in digital marketing
- Analyze the usefulness of display advertisements
- Outline the components of A/B testing and evaluate its effectiveness in terms of website optimization
- Describe the controversy surrounding web cookies
- Incorporate effective advertising strategies into digital marketing campaigns
- Contextualize paid digital advertising roles
- Evaluate search ads, as well as the basics of search engine marketing
- Address challenges regarding the capturing of users' attention
- Assess the role of native advertising in digital marketing
- Understand the fundamentals of digital media tracking, testing and optimization
1. Advertising Strategies in Digital Marketing Campaigns
Learn about various strategies you can use for your digital marketing campaigns. You'll see how each has its advantages and disadvantages and learn about one thing that can prevent your marketing campaigns from being successful.
2. Roles within Paid Digital Advertising
Many of us view or hear ads in the form of digital advertising daily, whether on the web, our smartphones, or even a digital billboard. In this lesson, we examine how those ads get placed and what types of companies place them.
3. Display Advertising in Online Media: Formats & Impact
In this lesson, we'll identify formats of display advertising that can be used on websites and analyze their effectiveness. We'll also look at some examples of each type of display advertising.
4. Pay Per Click (PPC) Advertising: Definition & Strategy
This lesson will explore the pay-per-click (PPC) model of advertising, in which advertisers pay website owners when their ads are clicked. We'll also discuss ways to implement this strategy in a digital marketing plan.
5. Search Engine Marketing (SEM) & Search Ads
Want a quick way to boost yourself to the top of search engine rankings? Try search ads inside of search engine marketing (SEM). In this lesson, we'll learn more about what search ads are and how SEM works.
6. Capturing Users' Attention: Challenges, Environment & Tips
What's the average attention span of the typical consumer - 60 seconds, 30, or how about 8? In this lesson, we'll look at challenges in capturing users' attention and how to combat short attention spans to create content that resonates.
7. Native Advertising's Role in Digital Marketing
How does native advertising fit into the world of digital marketing? It does so on websites and social media platforms. In this lesson, we look at native advertising's role in digital marketing.
8. What is A/B Testing?
Marketing professionals are often involved in conducting research on how to make their products better. In this lesson, we'll explore characteristics of a type of testing known as A/B testing. We'll learn how to conduct A/B tests and interpret the results to make informed decisions.
9. What Are Web Cookies? - Use & Controversy
Cookies play a major role in digital marketing. In this lesson, we'll discuss what cookies are, identify their role in digital marketing and go over the controversies surrounding how useful they are in a digital marketing plan.
10. Digital Media Tracking, Testing & Optimization
The goal of digital media advertising is to get clicks, views, and website visits - a reaction. In this lesson, we'll examine different methods for tracking and optimizing responses so that online ads can be improved.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Business 309: Digital Marketing & Advertising course
- Marketing & the Internet
- Digital Marketing Strategies
- Creating Digital Campaigns
- Segmentation & Targeting
- Search Engine Optimization
- Social Media Advertising & Promotions
- Mobile Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Digital & Web Analytics
- Customer Engagement & Relations
- Digital Marketing Plan Strategy
- Required Assignments for Business 309
- Studying for Business 309