About This Chapter
Operating System & Network Security - Chapter Summary
Gain greater insight into operating system and network security with help from this entertaining chapter. Our bite-sized lessons can build your knowledge of computer operating systems, types of network security, firewalls and other related topics. Enjoy 24/7 access to these lessons using any computer or mobile device. If you need to clarify topics presented in the lessons, don't hesitate to submit questions to our experts. Our multiple-choice quizzes and chapter exam can quickly gauge your comprehension of key lesson concepts and ensure you're ready to do the following:
- Outline the role of an operating system in maintaining a computer system's security
- Differentiate between application and operating system software
- Share policies and procedures of operating system security
- List and discuss different types of network security
- Define and describe the role and use of a firewall in network security
- Identify and discuss types of network security threats
- Provide the definition and list types of virtual private networks (VPNs)
- Offer examples of network security policies
1. The Role of Operating Systems in Security
In this lesson, we'll explore the role of operating systems in maintaining the security of computer systems. We'll talk about methods like backups, firewalls, and protection against viruses and intrusion detection that help in securing our systems.
2. Computer Operating Systems: Managing Hardware and Software Resources
This lesson will introduce you to computer operating systems and help you figure out the difference between application and operating system software. Also, we will learn the difference between a desktop and wallpaper.
3. Operating System Security: Policies & Procedures
In this lesson you will learn about the security policies and procedures associated with protecting users and the operating systems on their computers. We will define and discuss the importance of these procedures. We will also outline some common security policies and procedures organizations should implement when executing these guidelines.
4. Types of Network Security
Network security is a fundamental concept that is essential to any company using information technology. This lesson lists a few of the common types of network security systems and describes their role on the network.
5. What is a Firewall in Network Security? - Role & Use
The network firewall is an important piece of equipment that protects your network from hackers and other cyber criminals. Its use is essential if your business is connected to the Internet, and it's highly recommended for residential users too.
6. Network Security Threats: Types & Vulnerabilities
In this lesson, we will define networks, the social aspects of a network, and the three common network vulnerabilities that leave a network open to hostile attacks.
7. What Is a Virtual Private Network (VPN)? - Definition & Types
A virtual private network (VPN) provides a way to use network resources securely in a remote manner. In this lesson, we'll cover why we use VPNs, what types of VPNs are used, and what is necessary in order for VPNs to work.
8. What is a Network Security Policy? - Procedures & Examples
In most group activities, we use rules for common behavior. Using a network in a group setting is no different; there are rules for computer access in order to protect the data. In this lesson, we'll define what a network security policy is and discuss its usage.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Computer Science 110: Introduction to Cybersecurity course
- Introduction to Cybersecurity
- Basics of Cybercrime
- The Role of People in Cybercrime
- Policies & Procedures for Cybersecurity
- Tools & Techniques for Cybersecurity
- Impact of Cybercrime on Electronic Communication
- Cryptography in Cybersecurity
- Understanding & Preventing Computer Viruses
- Cybercrime & Software Development
- Disaster Recovery in Cybersecurity