About This Chapter
Operations Management Basics - Chapter Summary
This chapter can help you understand the components of operations management. The lessons go over several processes important to be familiar with while exploring relevant operations management language and principles. The practice quizzes that accompany each lesson give you the chance to test out your comprehension of the topics before continuing, and, if you ever find yourself stuck, our professional instructors can answer your questions. By the end of the chapter, you'll be better versed in the following:
- Explaining the importance and basic principles of organizational management
- Listing the key aspects of operations management
- Examining the planning portion of operations management
- Knowing the history of operations and supply chain management
- Understanding the causes of supply and demand changes
- Differentiating between the types of business management processes
- Analyzing and comparing business processes
- Describing business process modeling
1. How to Use Study.com TECEP Courses
Our Study.com TECEP preparatory courses will help you prepare to take and pass the TECEP exams to get credit at Thomas Edison State University. Learn about how to use this Credit-by-Exam option to earn college credit towards your degree.
2. Principles of Organizational Management
Many businesses today are complex systems that require more than ad hoc design and management. In this lesson, you'll discover some of the important principles of organizational management necessary to build a successful organization.
3. Operations Management: Definition & Fundamentals
This lesson will introduce and define operations management. We will review how operations management helps a company achieve its business goals through managing four key aspects of operations.
4. Operations Management Planning
Businesses are complex systems engaged in complex activities that require constant planning and supervision. In this lesson, you'll learn about planning in operations management as well as various types of planning.
5. History of Operations & Supply Chain Management
We'll discuss the evolution and history of operations and supply chain management through some real company examples, including Ford, Dell Computers and Wal-Mart, in this lesson.
6. Causes of Supply and Demand Changes in Microeconomics
Learn what causes movements along the supply and demand curves. See how market forces work to cause these movements and the important role that price plays in this.
7. Business Management Processes: Definition, Types & Importance
We carry out processes every day and may not even know it. We all have our own routines and ways of getting things done. Business processes are critical because they have the power to determine how profitable a business will be.
8. Business Processes: Identification & Analysis
In this lesson we'll learn about the different types of processes that happen in a business. We'll also learn how they can be separated into groups as well as how these various processes can happen at the same time.
9. What is Business Process Modeling (BPM)? - Definition, Notation & Examples
In this lesson, we'll describe what a business process is and how a business process is analyzed and refined when necessary. We will also view examples of various BPMN analytic tools including flowcharts, data flow diagrams, and Gantt charts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.