About This Chapter
Who's It For?
Anyone who needs help learning or mastering operations management in hotel and lodging material will benefit from the lessons in this chapter. There is no faster or easier way to learn about operations management in hotel and lodging. Among those who would benefit are:
- Students who have fallen behind in understanding operational issues and solutions and organizational structure in hotels
- Students who struggle with learning disabilities or learning differences, including autism and ADHD
- Students who prefer multiple ways of learning about hospitality management (visual or auditory)
- Students who have missed class time and need to catch up
- Students who need an efficient way to learn about operations management in hotel and lodging
- Students who struggle to understand their teachers
- Students who attend schools without extra hospitality management learning resources
How It Works:
- Find lessons in our course that cover what you need to learn or review.
- Watch the video or read through the text lesson.
- Refer to the transcripts or specific lesson sections to reinforce your learning.
- Test your understanding of each lesson with short quizzes.
- Verify you're ready by completing the Operations Management in Hotel & Lodging chapter exam.
Why It Works:
- Study Efficiently: Skip what you know, review what you don't.
- Retain What You Learn: Engaging animations and real-life examples make topics easy to grasp.
- Be Ready on Test Day: Use the Operations Management in Hotel & Lodging chapter exam to be prepared.
- Get Extra Support: Ask our subject-matter experts any hotel and lodging operations management question. They're here to help!
- Study With Flexibility: Watch videos and read text lessons on any web-ready device.
Students Will Review:
This chapter helps students review the concepts in an operations management in hotel and lodging unit of a standard hospitality management course. Topics covered include:
- Fundamentals of operations management
- Hotel operational issues and solutions
- Importance of the hotel and lodging industry's organizational structure
- Purpose and impact of the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award
- Differences between hotel management companies and franchises
- Ritz Carlton and Hilton case studies
1. Operations Management: Definition & Fundamentals
This lesson will introduce and define operations management. We will review how operations management helps a company achieve its business goals through managing four key aspects of operations.
2. Operational Issues & Solutions in the Hotel Business
The hotel business is a unique business with many moving parts. It faces operational issues that are different from other industries. This lesson will discuss the common operational issues as well as provide solutions.
3. Organizational Structure in the Hotel & Lodging Industry
Within the lodging industry, standard functions are handled by various departments in the hotel. The organizational structure of the hotel helps to organize activities and tasks in a logical and effective manner.
4. Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award: Purpose & Impact
Winning awards is a constant, competitive goal in the business world. Let's take a look at the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award and discuss its purpose and impact.
5. Case Study: Ritz-Carlton & Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award
In this lesson, you'll see how the Ritz-Carlton qualified to receive the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award. Learn the seven criteria that are required for the award.
6. Hotel Management Companies vs. Franchises
In this lesson, we will explore two forms of hotel ownership. Hotel management companies run hotels on behalf of the owner. Franchising allows the hotel owner to operate under a brand name in exchange for payment and royalties.
7. Hospitality Case Study: Franchising a Hilton Hotel
Do you want to open up a Hilton Hotel franchise? Read this lesson to learn about all the costs involved in such a venture to see if you are in a position to do so.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Hospitality Management: Help & Review course
- International Hospitality Management
- Strategic Planning for Hotel & Lodging
- Rooms Division in Hotel & Lodging Operations
- Revenue Management for Hotel & Lodging
- Hospitality Marketing & Sales
- Human Resource Management for Hospitality
- Hotel Security & Safety
- Food & Beverage Operations in Hospitality
- Hospitality Industry Organizational Structure & Behavior
- Market Forces & Globalization in the Hospitality Industry
- Audits & Quality Control in the Hospitality Industry
- Intrapreneurship & the Hospitality Industry