About This Chapter
Operations with Numbers - Chapter Summary
During the process of going through these lessons, you will deepen your knowledge of operations with numbers. Some of the topics covered include how to find the opposite of an integer and how to sort decimals from greatest to least. This interactive chapter can also teach you how to set up and solve rate problems. After reviewing the lessons, you should be ready to:
- List different types of numbers
- Explain how to easily understand fractions
- Use fractions and decimals to solve problems
- Discuss rules for adding, subtracting, multiplying, and dividing integers
- Provide examples of ratios and rates
- List the steps required to find constant and average rates
- Define ratios and proportions
- Calculate percentages
These lessons can assist you with quickly getting up to speed on operations with numbers. Key words are highlighted in bold for quick review. There is a Help feature that allows you to submit questions to instructors if you get stuck on a topic. Each lesson includes a full written transcript that you can print and use as a study guide.
1. What are the Different Types of Numbers?
Learn all of the different types of numbers: natural numbers, whole numbers, integers, rational numbers, irrational numbers, and real numbers. This video lesson teaches you how to classify any numbers you come across.
2. What is a Fraction? - Definition and Types
Fractions may be your friend's worst nightmare, but they don't have to be yours. Watch this video lesson to learn about fractions and how you can understand them easily. Also, learn to identify the different types of fractions.
3. Relating Fractions and Decimals
Watch this video lesson to learn how to use both fractions and decimals to help you solve problems. Learn how to change between the two to use the best one for your problem.
4. Absolute Value & Opposite Integers
After watching this video lesson, you'll understand what an absolute value is, and you'll also learn how to find the opposite of an integer. In addition, you'll learn how every pair of opposite integers will always add up to zero.
5. Adding Integers: Rules & Examples
In this lesson, we will learn about adding integers or signed numbers. Using the number line and idea of absolute value, we will see that the rules used to add them are simply an extension of the rules of basic arithmetic.
6. Subtracting Integers: Rules & Examples
In this lesson, we will cover definitions, rules, and examples for subtracting integers. We'll also provide some helpful tips for dealing with tricky math problems.
7. Multiplying Integers: Rules & Examples
In this lesson, we will discuss what numbers are included in the integers and how to multiply them. We will deal with 1-, 2-, and 3-digit numbers as well as negatives and positives. There are some definitions included as well as a quiz at the end.
8. Dividing Integers: Rules & Terminology
In this lesson, we will learn how to divide integers or signed numbers. Determining the correct sign of the answer is a very simple but important step in these calculations. We will also learn the role of zero in division of integers.
9. Ratios & Rates: Definitions & Examples
If we have two items, or two numbers, and we want to compare them, what language can we use? How do we write the comparison? Find out as we learn about ratios and rates in this lesson.
10. Finding Constant and Average Rates
Watch this video lesson to learn the differences between constant and average rates. You will learn the steps you need to take to find them and get two great visuals you can keep in mind to help you solve these rate problems.
11. Solving Problems Using Rates
In this video lesson, learn how to set up rate problems so you can easily solve them. You will become familiar with the rate formula and you will see how easy it is to use.
12. Proportion: Definition, Application & Examples
When we want to compare one ratio, or fraction, to another equivalent ratio, it's a proportion. Learn all about proportions and practice solving proportion problems in this lesson.
13. Ratios and Proportions: Definition and Examples
Watch this video lesson to learn how ratios and proportions are related. Also, learn how ratios and proportions are used in real life and how you can apply them to yours.
14. Calculate Percentages: Formula & Overview
Learn how understanding and being able to calculate percentages can help you when shopping and when reading test scores. Also learn how to easily convert a decimal into a percentage and vice versa.
15. What is a Decimal Place Value?
In this video lesson, you will see how a decimal, a simple dot, can change the place value of all the digits in a number. You will also learn how to read decimals using place values.
16. Comparing and Ordering Decimals
In this video lesson, you'll find out how you can look at any two decimals and immediately tell which is greater than the other. You'll also learn how to quickly sort decimals from least to greatest or vice versa.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Foundation Skills Assessment (FSA) Grade 7: Practice & Study Guide course
- Elements of a Story
- Analyzing a Reading Passage's Meaning
- Informational Text Analysis Methods
- Strategies for Analyzing Literature
- Essay Writing Strategies
- Patterns & Relationships in Algebra
- Understanding & Measuring Shapes
- Statistics & Probability Basics
- Foundation Skills Assessment (FSA) Grade 7 Flashcards