About This Chapter
Operations with Radical Expressions - Chapter Summary
Top instructors have developed entertaining video lessons to make learning about operations involving radical expressions fun. Access the lessons from your tablet, smartphone or computer to examine the steps needed to solve radical expression and notation problems. Once you've reviewed this chapter, you will have the knowledge to:
- Define the radical expression
- Factor and divide radical expressions
- Add and subtract using radical notation
- Simplify square roots of quotients and powers in radical expressions
- Demonstrate how to multiply then simplify radical expressions
- Exhibit an ability to rationalize denominators in radical expressions
- Show how to multiply radical expressions with two or more terms
Each lesson in this chapter is available as a video or full transcript. Videos are short, making it easy for you to incorporate your review of the lessons into a busy schedule. Full transcripts are the print versions of the lessons and feature vocabulary words you can use to strengthen your understanding of operations with radical expressions. At any time, feel free to assess your knowledge of the lessons by taking short quizzes. A chapter exam is also available to gauge your comprehension of lesson concepts.
1. Radical Expression: Definition & Examples
A radical expression is any mathematical expression containing a radical symbol (√). This lesson will go into more detail about the types of radical expressions and give some examples of how to work with them in mathematics. There will be a quiz at the end of the lesson.
2. Factoring Radical Expressions
Watch this video lesson to learn how to apply the product rule to your radical expressions. Learn how this product rule actually helps you to simplify your radicals as well.
3. Addition and Subtraction Using Radical Notation
There are specific rules governing adding and subtracting radical expressions. This lesson will describe these rules and give examples of how they are used.
4. Dividing Radical Expressions
When dividing radical expressions, we use the quotient rule. This lesson will describe the quotient rule and how to use it to solve these radical expressions.
5. Simplifying Square Roots of Powers in Radical Expressions
Simplifying radical expressions that contain powers can be tricky. There are a few simple rules that will help you perform these simplifications with ease. This lesson will teach you how.
6. Multiplying then Simplifying Radical Expressions
Multiplying 2 or more radical expressions uses the same principles as multiplying polynomials, with a few extra rules for dealing with the radicals. This lesson will teach you how to multiply and then simplify radical expressions.
7. Simplify Square Roots of Quotients
The quotient rule can be used to simplify square roots of quotients. This lesson will define the quotient rule and show you how it is used to simplify square roots.
8. Rationalizing Denominators in Radical Expressions
Radical expressions containing denominators are not simplified completely unless the denominator is free of radical symbols. This lesson will teach you how to remove a radical from the denominator of a fraction through a process called rationalizing the denominator.
9. Multiplying Radical Expressions with Two or More Terms
Multiplying radical expressions with more than two terms can be confusing. This lesson will take some of the confusion away by giving clear steps for multiplying these expressions. It will also provide some examples to help solidify the steps.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the STAAR Algebra II: Test Prep & Practice course
- Complex and Imaginary Numbers
- Calculating & Simplifying Exponential Expressions
- Understanding Polynomial Functions
- Solving Algebraic Equations Overview
- The Basics of Functions
- Graphing Functions Overview
- Solving & Graphing Systems of Equations
- Solving & Graphing 1 & 2 Variable Inequalities
- Solving & Graphing Quadratics
- Quadratics & Higher Order Polynomials
- Solving Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- Absolute Value Equations
- Rational Functions & Expressions
- About the STARR Tests
- STAAR Algebra II Flashcards