About This Chapter
Oral Language Development - Chapter Summary
Enjoy exclusive access to quality lessons prepared by skilled instructors as you refresh your knowledge of oral language development. Lessons explore a variety of concepts, including the relationship between language and reading development, activities for reading comprehension and individuals' unique learning needs. Review these lessons any time to ensure you're able to:
- Explain the impact of oral language on reading development
- Share how oral language activities are used to promote reading comprehension
- Identify strategies for addressing diverse learning needs
- Describe the stages of language development
- Discuss techniques for assessing oral language skills
Access the video and text lessons in this chapter from your computer, smartphone or tablet. Review them in any sequence and as often as you'd like until you fully understand oral language development. If you need additional details about concepts covered in this chapter, submit your questions to our experts. When ready, assess your knowledge of these concepts by taking short quizzes and a chapter exam.
1. The Impact of Oral Language on Reading Development
Oral language skills are fundamentally connected to the ability to learn reading. In this lesson, explore the direct links between oral language and reading development, and test your understanding with a brief quiz.
2. Oral Language Activities & Reading Comprehension
A student's reading comprehension abilities can be difficult for any teacher to evaluate. This lesson discusses verbal strategies for assessing a student's comprehension level.
3. Understanding Diverse Learning Needs
Students each have unique skills, abilities, and needs that need to be addressed. This lesson will explain several ways students can be different from one another and how you can tailor your instruction to address their needs.
4. Stages of Language Development: Pre-Linguistic and Symbolic Language
How does language expression emerge in children? Learn about the development of syntax in children through the pre-linguistic and linguistic stages of language development in this lesson.
5. Oral Language Skills: Definition & Assessment
In this lesson, learn what oral language skills are and the components of oral language. We will also cover how you, as an educator, can assess oral language skills.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051): Practice & Study Guide course
- Literacy Development & Print Awareness
- Early Literacy Word Recognition and Spelling
- Late Stages Literacy Word Recognition & Spelling
- Fluency & Reading Development
- Vocabulary Knowledge & Skills
- Reading Comprehension Instruction
- Understanding & Analyzing Literary & Narrative Texts
- Analyzing Informational & Expository Texts
- The Writing Process & Language
- Writing to a Specific Audience
- Elements of Literary Research
- Oral & Visual Communication
- Historical Concepts & Research Skills
- Government, Civics & Economics
- Fundamental Geography Concepts
- History Study Skills
- Oklahoma & U.S. Political History
- Global Political History
- Historical Analysis & Interpretation
- Number Sense, Numeration & Operations
- Algebraic Patterns, Equations & Functions
- Geometry & Properties of Shapes
- Measurement in Math
- Area, Perimeter, Surface Area & Volume
- Time, Proportions, Ratios, Rates, Velocity & Density
- Statistics & Charts
- Probability & Events
- Math & Problem Solving
- Mathematical Representation & Communication
- The Nature & History of Science
- Scientific Process & Inquiry
- Physical Science Fundamentals
- Earth, Space Science & Weather
- Types of Living Organisms
- Interactions Among Living Things
- Health & Fitness in Children
- Visual Arts Concepts
- Music, Drama, Theater & the Arts
- OSAT Elementary Education (CEOE) (050/051) Flashcards