About This Chapter
Order Carnivora - Chapter Summary
Our instructors cover the animals who are a part of the order Carnivora in these fun and helpful lessons that focus on the Eurasian otter, the North American river otter, the European mink and the Baikal seal. Information about the habitats, population and predators of these animals is also discussed here. It's easy to get ready for a test or just get caught up in class with our short, professionally designed lessons. The multiple-choice quizzes in this chapter are also a great way to test your knowledge or see how ready you are for a test or quiz. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Describe the habitats of the Eurasian otter, hairy-nosed otter, spotted-neck otter and smooth-coated otter
- Give some facts about the North American river otter, the Southern River otter and the Neotropical otter
- Highlight the population of the giant otter, the African clawless otter and European mink
- Provide some information about the Asian small-clawed otter and the American mink
- Identify the adaptations of the Baikal seal and the ringed seal
1. Eurasian Otter: Habitat, Diet, Lifespan & Facts
In this lesson you'll learn about one of the most widespread otter species: the Eurasian otter. We'll look at its habitat, diet, and lifespan, as well as some interesting facts.
2. Hairy-Nosed Otter: Habitat, Breeding & Population
Out of the 13 major otter species, the least is known about the hairy-nosed otter. In this lesson, you'll look at what is known about this otter's habitat, breeding and population.
3. Spotted-Necked Otter: Habitat, Diet, Lifespan & Facts
In this lesson you will learn about the spotted-necked otter. We will take a look at their habitat, diet, and typical lifespan, as well as some interesting facts about their behavior.
4. Smooth-Coated Otter: Habitat, Adaptations & Facts
In this lesson, we'll look at an otter species native to parts of Asia: the smooth-coated otter. You'll learn about its habitat, as well as some adaptations and interesting facts about its behavior.
5. North American River Otter: Habitat, Diet, Predators & Facts
The North American River Otter is a playful, semi-aquatic mammal found in waterways of North America. What are some facts about this animal and what makes it unique? Read on to learn more.
6. Southern River Otter: Habitat, Population & Adaptations
In this lesson, you'll learn about the southern river otter, which has the smallest range of any otter species. We'll take a look at its habitat, population, and adaptations to its environment.
7. Neotropical Otter: Habitat & Facts
In this lesson we discuss the neotropical otter. It includes information about its habitat and other interesting facts about this fascinating creature.
8. Giant Otter: Habitat, Population & Facts
Today you'll be learning about the giant otter. By the end of this lesson you'll be able to describe the few places giant otters live, factors impacting their population and some interesting facts about their adaptations, lifestyle and behavior.
9. African Clawless Otter: Habitat, Population & Lifespan
The African clawless otter, or Cape clawless otter, is a fascinating species. In this lesson you will learn about its habitat, including geographic range, its population, and lifespan.
10. Asian Small-Clawed Otter: Habitat, Breeding & Adaptations
In this lesson we'll take a look at the unique Asian small-clawed otter. You'll learn about their habitat, their breeding and reproduction, and some interesting adaptations.
11. American Mink: Behavior, Habitat & Facts
The American mink, or Neovison vison, is a member of the weasel family. It is often harvested for its soft fur. This lesson is about the American mink, its behavior, habitat, diet and life cycle.
12. European Mink: Facts, Habitat, Adaptations & Population
The European mink is a member of the genus ''Mustela''. In this lesson we will look at their habitat and population, as well as interesting facts about their behavior and adaptations.
13. What is a Mongoose? - Anatomy, Family & Diet
Mongooses are small mammals with many unique characteristics. In this lesson we'll learn more about what makes mongooses so interesting, including what they eat, what they look like, and what makes them able to battle a full-grown cobra!
14. Baikal Seal: Habitat, Adaptations, Predators & Facts
In this lesson, we'll take a look at an inhabitant of the world's oldest lake: the Baikal seal. You'll learn about its habitat and predators, as well as some adaptations and interesting facts.
15. Ringed Seal: Habitat, Population & Adaptations
Today we're going to learn about some marine mammals that thrive in the iciest of conditions, ringed seals. After this lesson, you'll be able to explain more about their habitat, populations and the adaptations they need for such a cold climate.
16. Signs, Symptoms & Causes of Bloat in Dogs
Though it may sound simple, bloat is a very serious, life-threatening condition in dogs. In this lesson you'll learn what bloat is, what causes it to happen, and what to look for in your dog.
17. Dog Bloat: Treatment & Prevention
Dog bloat is a frightening condition that happens to our beloved fur friends. In this lesson, we will talk about how dog bloat is treated and how it can be prevented.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Kingdom Animalia: Study Guide & Review course
- Order Diptera
- Orders Eulipotyphia, Chiroptera & Didelphimorphia
- Extinct & Endangered Animals
- Aquatic & Semi-Aquatic Animals & Plants
- Order Sirenia
- Order Cetartiodactyla
- Order Rodentia
- Order Monotremata
- Family Rhinocerotidae
- Class Arachnida
- Arboreal Animals
- Understanding Jellyfish
- Class Insecta
- Order Isopods
- Order Passeriformes
- Order Primates: Chimpanzees & Bonobos
- Order Primates: Gorillas & Orangutans
- Order Primates: Lemurs
- Order Primates: Lorises, Galagos, & Tarsiers
- Order Primates: Macaques & Baboons
- Order Primates: New World Monkeys
- Class Aves