About This Chapter
Order Cetartiodactyla - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, you'll review the animals that make up the order Cetartiodactyla, including the dolphin and the hippopotamus. You'll explore animals' habitats, life cycles and lifespans. You're welcome to study at whatever time works best for you with these mobile-friendly and self-paced lessons. Each lesson is followed by a short quiz that helps test your understanding. If you get confused anywhere along the way in the chapter, reach out to an instructor for help. These lessons are designed to help you:
- Describe the life and mating cycles of the dolphin
- List some of the different types and species of dolphins
- Explain what the hippopotamus eats and where its habitat is
- Detail the gestation period of the hippopotamus
- Give some facts about the pygmy hippopotamus
1. Dolphins: Life Cycle, Anatomy & Habitat
Dolphins make up an informal grouping of animals within the order Cetartiodactyla. In this lesson we'll explore where dolphins live, what they look like and the major events of a dolphin's life cycle.
2. Dolphin Mating & Reproduction
Dolphins may seem cute and cuddly, but dolphin mating and reproduction is a different story. This lesson explores the basics of dolphin mating and reproduction, and delves into some little-known facts of dolphin mating.
3. Types & Species of Dolphins
Dolphins are some of the most recognized marine mammals in the sea. It is a unique group, with a wide variety of appearances and habitats. Read on to learn more about the many different species of dolphin.
4. Hippopotamus: Definition, Diet, Teeth & Facts
In this lesson we'll be learning about an aquatic giant, the hippopotamus. Here, we'll cover what it likes to eat, its unique dental structure and interesting facts about its lifestyle.
5. Hippopotamus: Habitat, Lifespan & Adaptation
What do you know about the hippopotamus? In this lesson, we'll discuss this interesting animal and by looking at its habitat, social life, and unique adaptations it has for its environment, you will be more familiar with this massive animal!
6. Hippopotamus Mating & Gestation Period
Cute and cuddly? I think not! The hippo is a strange mammal, with even stranger mating habits. This lesson will examine the mating behavior and gestation period for this large, plant-eating mammal.
7. Pygmy Hippopotamus: Habitat & Facts
In this lesson, you'll learn about the pygmy hippopotamus, a distinct species from the common hippo. You will learn about their habitat, as well as some interesting facts.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Kingdom Animalia: Study Guide & Review course
- Order Diptera
- Orders Eulipotyphia, Chiroptera & Didelphimorphia
- Extinct & Endangered Animals
- Aquatic & Semi-Aquatic Animals & Plants
- Order Sirenia
- Order Carnivora
- Order Rodentia
- Order Monotremata
- Family Rhinocerotidae
- Class Arachnida
- Arboreal Animals
- Understanding Jellyfish
- Class Insecta
- Order Isopods
- Order Passeriformes
- Order Primates: Chimpanzees & Bonobos
- Order Primates: Gorillas & Orangutans
- Order Primates: Lemurs
- Order Primates: Lorises, Galagos, & Tarsiers
- Order Primates: Macaques & Baboons
- Order Primates: New World Monkeys
- Class Aves