About This Chapter
Order & Group Cells & Ranges in Excel: Chapter Summary
If you've already learned some basic Excel formatting skills, you might be ready to have a go at conditional formatting for modifications. The lessons in this chapter will show you how to insert spaklines, transpose columns and rows, or create and modify named ranges. Want to create an outline? All of the steps are right here at your fingertips. Once you've mastered that, you can also find out the methods for collapsing groups of data in your outlines or the ways to insert subtotals into Excel worksheets.
The lessons offer you systematic directions in short steps and are taught by knowledgeable Excel experts. After viewing each lesson, take the short, interactive quiz to check your mastery of the new skills.
Topics covered in this chapter include:
- Applying and modifying formatting
- Inserting and modifying sparklines
- Transposing columns and rows
- Creating and modifying Excel ranges
- Creating outlines
- Collapsing groups of data
- Inserting subtotals
(Please note that all demonstrations in this chapter use Microsoft Excel 2013. Some features, tools and displays might be somewhat different in other versions.)
Excel is a trademark of the Microsoft Corporation, which is not affiliated with Study.com.
1. Conditional Formatting in Excel: Applying & Modifying Formatting
Have you ever looked at an Excel worksheet with a substantial amount of data and numbers, such as revenue results? Want to quickly identify the top ten revenue numbers? The conditional formatting tool is exactly what you need!
2. Sparklines in Excel: How to Insert & Modify a Sparkline
When you have a worksheet with lots of numbers and data, you might want to create a chart or graph to see trends. This lesson will discuss how to insert Sparklines, or mini charts, into your Excel worksheets.
3. How to Transpose Columns & Rows in Excel
Have you ever created a worksheet then wished you could switch your columns and rows? Rather than re-typing the data, you can use the Transpose feature in Excel. This lesson will guide you through the steps to switching columns and rows.
4. Creating & Modifying Named Ranges in Excel
Sometimes formulas can be tricky. Determining cell references and remembering them is not always easy. However, what if you assign a name to a range of cells and use that name in a formula? This lesson will introduce you to Named Ranges in Excel.
5. Outlines in Excel: How to Create an Outline
The Outline tool in Excel is a bit much for simple spreadsheets, but amazingly handy when you have a worksheet full of numbers, totals, sub-totals and calculations. This lesson will discuss the tool and how to add an outline to your next Excel worksheet.
6. Outlines in Excel: How to Collapse Groups of Data in an Outline
When you add an outline to your worksheet data, a window opens on the left-hand side of your screen with numbered buttons and plus or minus symbols. This lesson will take a detailed look at how to expand and/or collapse data in an outline.
7. How to Insert a Subtotal in an Excel Worksheet
Sometimes, a lot of data in a worksheet can seem overwhelming. Grouping data to include totals and subtotals can help organize your information so it's easier to read and understand. This lesson will look at the Subtotal feature in Excel.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Intro to Excel: Essential Training & Tutorials course
- Creating Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Formatting Worksheets & Workbooks in Excel
- Customizing Options & Views in Excel
- Configure to Print & Save in Excel
- Format Cells & Ranges in Excel
- Insert Data in Cells and Ranges in Excel
- Filter and Sort a Table in Excel
- Create a Table in Excel
- Modify a Table in Excel
- Use Cell Ranges & References for Formulas & Functions in Excel
- Summarize Data with Functions in Excel
- Functions with Conditional Logic in Excel
- Format & Modify Text with Functions in Excel
- Create a Chart in Excel