About This Chapter
Order Monotremata - Chapter Summary
Take a look at this mobile-friendly chapter to review basic information regarding the animals in the order Monotremata. As you progress through this series of simple and informative lessons, you'll explore information about the habitats, adaptations, reproduction, classification and locomotion of order Monotremata animals, including the platypus. The chapter includes plenty of self-assessment quizzes to help you check your understanding of key lesson concepts. Work through the chapter at your own pace, and submit questions to our instructors if you need any extra help. When you're finished working through the chapter, you should be able to:
- Interpret facts about platypuses
- Understand platypus locomotion and classification
- Evaluate platypus adaptations and habitat
- Describe platypus eggs and reproduction
1. What is a Platypus? - Classification, Locomotion & Facts
The platypus is a semiaquatic animal native to Australia. With a variety of unique features, it might be considered one of the most unusual animals in the world. What makes the platypus so different? Read on to learn more.
2. Platypus: Habitat & Adaptations
In this lesson, we'll be learning about the platypus, a strange mammal with unique adaptations to help it survive in Australian freshwater habitats. We'll also explore where it lives and the traits that help it survive.
3. Platypus Reproduction & Eggs
You probably know the platypus is a strange critter, but you probably have no idea how strange. This lesson will examine the world of platypus reproduction, complete with mating habits, strange facts and egg laying information.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Kingdom Animalia: Study Guide & Review course
- Order Diptera
- Orders Eulipotyphia, Chiroptera & Didelphimorphia
- Extinct & Endangered Animals
- Aquatic & Semi-Aquatic Animals & Plants
- Order Sirenia
- Order Cetartiodactyla
- Order Carnivora
- Order Rodentia
- Family Rhinocerotidae
- Class Arachnida
- Arboreal Animals
- Understanding Jellyfish
- Class Insecta
- Order Isopods
- Order Passeriformes
- Order Primates: Chimpanzees & Bonobos
- Order Primates: Gorillas & Orangutans
- Order Primates: Lemurs
- Order Primates: Lorises, Galagos, & Tarsiers
- Order Primates: Macaques & Baboons
- Order Primates: New World Monkeys
- Class Aves