About This Chapter
Order Primates: Macaques & Baboons - Chapter Summary
In this helpful chapter, our instructors present topics related to baboons and macaques for your review. Topics covered here include different types of old world monkeys, the characteristics of baboons and the behavior of Barbary macaque monkeys. Each chapter clearly outlines these subjects and is followed by a short quiz to test your knowledge. You can study any time you'd like on your mobile phone, tablet or computer. Professional instructors wrote these learning materials and are available to answer your questions if you need help staying on track. Once you complete this chapter, you should be ready to:
- Explain the diet and mating activity of baboons
- Provide some facts about the Japanese macaque monkey's adaptations
- Discuss the behavior and lifespan of the rhesus macaque monkey
- Outline the lion-tailed macaque's habitat and related conservation efforts
- Detail the behavior of the toque macaque
- Describe the diet of the crab-eating macaque monkey
- Give key facts about the crested black macaque's mating activity
- Identify the lifespan of the Assam macaque monkey
- Describe the stump-tailed macaque's diet
- Outline the habitat and behavior of the bonnet macaque
- Explain what formosan rock macaques eat
- Differentiate between northern and southern pig-tailed macaques
1. Old World Monkeys: Definition, Types & Characteristics
In this lesson you will learn about Old World monkeys, including some different types, as well as the characteristics that set them apart from New World monkeys.
2. Baboons: Types & Characteristics
In this lesson you will learn about the five different species of baboons, including some of the physical and behavioral characteristics that they all share, and some differences between them.
3. What are Baboons? - Mating, Diet & Facts
Baboons are some of the largest monkeys, and definitely some of the most interesting looking. In this lesson, we'll discuss some basic baboon facts, as well as what they eat, and aspects of their mating.
4. Barbary Macaque Monkey: Behavior & Facts
The Barbary macaque is a unique and fascinating monkey. In this lesson you will learn about some of its typical behaviors, as well as some interesting facts that set it apart.
5. Japanese Macaque Monkey: Facts, Adaptations, Diet & Habitat
In this lesson, we'll learn about the Japanese macaque monkey. Learn about its habitat, from the tropical southern jungles to the frigid mountains of northern Japan, and the adaptations it makes to survive.
6. Rhesus Macaque Monkey: Lifespan, Behavior & Facts
The rhesus macaque monkey is one you may know already. But while their faces are well-known, what do you actually know about this monkey? In this lesson you'll learn about the rhesus macaque, and then test your knowledge with a quiz.
7. Lion-Tailed Macaque: Facts, Habitat & Locomotion
Did you know baby lion-tailed macaques have especially soft hair? In this lesson you will learn more interesting facts about the lion-tailed macaque, including their habitat and method of locomotion.
8. Lion-Tailed Macaque: Adaptations & Conservation
In this lesson you will learn about one of the most endangered animals in the world: the lion-tailed macaque. We'll look at some of its adaptations, as well as efforts at conservation.
9. Toque Macaque: Behavior, Facts & Habitat
In this lesson, you will learn about the smallest macaque species, the toque macaque. We will take a look at its habitat and behavior, as well as some interesting facts about its physical characteristics and social and family life.
10. Crab-Eating Macaque Monkeys: Facts, Behavior & Diet
In this lesson you'll be learning about the ubiquitous crab-eating macaque. We'll be learning about where it lives in Southeast Asia, its fruit based diet, and unique behaviors including social dominance, tool use and reproductive strategies.
11. Crested Black Macaques: Facts, Mating & Habitat
Have you seen a monkey take a selfie? A crested black macaque has done it! In this lesson, you'll learn more about this fascinating species, including its habitat and facts about how it lives.
12. Assam Macaque Monkey: Lifespan, Habitat & Facts
In this lesson you'll learn about the Assam macaque, also called the Himalayan macaque. We'll take a look at its typical lifespan, habitat and geographic range, and some interesting facts.
13. Stump-Tailed Macaque: Lifespan, Diet & Facts
The appropriately-named stump-tailed macaque is an interesting creature. In this lesson you will learn about its lifespan and diet, and look at some interesting facts about its life.
14. Bonnet Macaque: Habitat, Diet & Facts
In this lesson you will learn about an interesting monkey called the bonnet macaque. This includes looking at its habitat, its diet, and some interesting facts about how it lives.
15. Bonnet Macaque: Reproduction & Behavior
In this lesson, you will learn about the bonnet macaque, a type of monkey that lives in India. We will take a look at their reproduction and infant care, as well as their social behaviors.
16. Formosan Rock Macaque: Habitat, Diet & Facts
In this lesson, you'll learn about the Taiwanese monkey known as the Formosan rock macaque. We'll take a look at their habitat and diet, as well as some interesting facts.
17. Northern & Southern Pig-Tailed Macaques
The northern and southern pigtail macaques are just two of the many species of macaque monkeys. In this lesson, you will learn what these monkeys look like, where they live, what they eat, and what some of their behaviors are.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Kingdom Animalia: Study Guide & Review course
- Order Diptera
- Orders Eulipotyphia, Chiroptera & Didelphimorphia
- Extinct & Endangered Animals
- Aquatic & Semi-Aquatic Animals & Plants
- Order Sirenia
- Order Cetartiodactyla
- Order Carnivora
- Order Rodentia
- Order Monotremata
- Family Rhinocerotidae
- Class Arachnida
- Arboreal Animals
- Understanding Jellyfish
- Class Insecta
- Order Isopods
- Order Passeriformes
- Order Primates: Chimpanzees & Bonobos
- Order Primates: Gorillas & Orangutans
- Order Primates: Lemurs
- Order Primates: Lorises, Galagos, & Tarsiers
- Order Primates: New World Monkeys
- Class Aves