About This Chapter
Order Sirenia - Chapter Summary
In this chapter, our instructors introduce the animals found in the order Sirenia for your review. The habitat and life cycle, as well as some facts, are discussed for both the manatee and the dugong in these lessons. After you've reviewed this material, the short quiz that follows will help you make sure you've understood what you've learned. Or, take the quizzes before reviewing the lessons as a great test prep tool to see how you'd do on test day. If at any time you need help, reach out to one of our instructors for assistance. This chapter is designed to help you:
- Explain the habitat of the manatee
- Differentiate between Amazonian and African manatees
- Discuss the reproductive and life cycles of the manatee
- Understand why manatees are endangered
- Compare the manatee with the dugong
- Outline the population of the dugong
- Detail the dugong's mating and life cycles
1. Where Do Manatees Live? - Habitat & Facts
In this lesson, we'll be learning about the three different habitats that host manatees, the Gulf of Mexico and the Caribbean, the Amazon River, and the west coast and rivers of Africa.
2. Types of Manatees: Amazonian & African
There are three species of manatees in the world. In this lesson, you will look more closely at two of these species: the Amazonian manatee and the West African manatee.
3. Manatees: Life Cycle & Reproduction
In this lesson, you will learn about the life cycle and reproduction of manatees. There are three species of manatees, but the life cycle is similar across all three species.
4. Why are Manatees Endangered?
One of the gentlest and most defenseless creatures in the world is the manatee. Find out why this animal is under threat from numerous sources, many of which are largely human in origin.
5. Dugong vs. Manatee
While dugongs and manatees are closely related, in many ways there are a number of differences between the species. In this lesson, you'll explore some of those differences.
6. What is a Dugong? - Definition, Habitat & Population
Dugongs are a close relative of the manatee. In this lesson you will learn about their habitat, their population and conservation status, and a physical description.
7. Dugong Life Cycle & Mating
In this lesson, you will learn about the life cycle and mating practices of the dugong, which is one of the four living members of the ''Sirenia'' order, along with manatees.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 160 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the Kingdom Animalia: Study Guide & Review course
- Order Diptera
- Orders Eulipotyphia, Chiroptera & Didelphimorphia
- Extinct & Endangered Animals
- Aquatic & Semi-Aquatic Animals & Plants
- Order Cetartiodactyla
- Order Carnivora
- Order Rodentia
- Order Monotremata
- Family Rhinocerotidae
- Class Arachnida
- Arboreal Animals
- Understanding Jellyfish
- Class Insecta
- Order Isopods
- Order Passeriformes
- Order Primates: Chimpanzees & Bonobos
- Order Primates: Gorillas & Orangutans
- Order Primates: Lemurs
- Order Primates: Lorises, Galagos, & Tarsiers
- Order Primates: Macaques & Baboons
- Order Primates: New World Monkeys
- Class Aves