About This Chapter
ORELA Math: Algebraic Expressions - Chapter Summary
The lesson videos of this chapter will help prepare you for the ORELA Mathematics exam by reviewing how to evaluate relationships with algebraic expressions and simplify algebraic expressions. With this review, prepare for questions about:
- Evaluating mathematical formulas
- Expressing relationships with algebraic expressions
- Simple algebraic expressions
- Distributing algebraic terms and signs
- Combining like terms
To reinforce your understanding of the material, finish the lesson worksheets that accompany these lesson videos. Then find areas of weakness by taking lesson quizzes and use video tags, linked to the main points of the lesson videos, to organize a review of these areas and master the material before you take the ORELA Mathematics exam.
ORELA Math: Algebraic Expressions - Chapter Objectives
The ORELA Mathematics test is a computer-based teacher certification exam used in the state of Oregon to measure applicants' mastery of the field of mathematics. Twenty-four percent of the 150 multiple-choice questions on this exam are in the domain of Patterns, Algebra and Functions. Use the activities of this chapter to improve your abilities working with algebraic expressions so that you may answer these questions with accuracy.
1. Understanding and Evaluating Math Formulas
With all the formulas out there, how do you know which one to pick? And how do you read formulas anyways? Watch this video lesson and you will find the answers to these questions.
2. Expressing Relationships as Algebraic Expressions
What do you do when you don't know what a number is but you do know how it relates to something else? You use an algebraic expression. In this lesson, we'll learn how to express relationships as algebraic expressions.
3. Evaluating Simple Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll learn how to evaluate algebraic expressions, which involves substituting numbers for variables and following the order of operations. By the end of the lesson, you'll be an algebraic expression expert.
4. The Distributive Property and Algebraic Expressions
The order of operations is great. But sometimes we need to bend the rules to simplify an equation. Fortunately, the distributive property gives us a scenario in which this is okay. Learn all about it in this lesson.
5. Combining Like Terms in Algebraic Expressions
When you have an algebraic expression that's much too long, it would be great if you could simplify it. That's when knowing how to combine like terms comes in. In this lesson, we'll learn the process of combining like terms and practice simplifying expressions.
6. Practice Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
In this lesson, we'll practice simplifying a variety of algebraic expressions. We'll use two key concepts, combining like terms and the distributive property, to help us simplify.
7. Negative Signs and Simplifying Algebraic Expressions
Don't let negative signs get you down. In this lesson, we'll stay positive as we practice simplifying algebraic expressions that have those tricky negative signs.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ORELA Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- ORELA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- ORELA Math: Fractions
- ORELA Math: Decimals & Percents
- ORELA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- ORELA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- ORELA Math: Logic
- ORELA Math: Reasoning
- ORELA Math: Vector Operations
- ORELA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- ORELA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- ORELA Math: Linear Equations
- ORELA Math: Inequalities
- ORELA Math: Absolute Value
- ORELA Math: Quadratic Equations
- ORELA Math: Polynomials
- ORELA Math: Rational Expressions
- ORELA Math: Radical Expressions
- ORELA Math: Systems of Equations
- ORELA Math: Complex Numbers
- ORELA Math: Functions
- ORELA Math: Piecewise Functions
- ORELA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- ORELA Math: Continuity of a Function
- ORELA Math: Limits
- ORELA Math: Rate of Change
- ORELA Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- ORELA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- ORELA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- ORELA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- ORELA Math: Integration Techniques
- ORELA Math: Applications of Integration
- ORELA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- ORELA Math: Geometric Figures
- ORELA Math: Properties of Triangles
- ORELA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- ORELA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- ORELA Math: Quadrilaterals
- ORELA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- ORELA Math: Conic Sections
- ORELA Math: Geometric Solids
- ORELA Math: Analytical Geometry
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Functions
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- ORELA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- ORELA Math: Sequences & Series
- ORELA Math: Graph Theory
- ORELA Math: Set Theory
- ORELA Math: Statistics Overview
- ORELA Math: Summarizing Data
- ORELA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- ORELA Math: Probability
- ORELA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- ORELA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- ORELA Math: Sampling
- ORELA Math: Regression & Correlation
- ORELA Mathematics Flashcards