About This Chapter
ORELA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions - Chapter Summary
Use the activities of this chapter to review what you need to know about exponential and logarithmic functions, equations used to solve them and how to graph them. Watch lesson videos taught by professional instructors who will step you through example problems so that you will be prepared for related questions on the ORELA Math test. After this chapter you should be prepared for questions about:
- Exponential growth and decay
- Evaluating logarithms
- Solving exponential and logarithmic equations
- Graphing logarithms
- Transforming exponential and logarithmic functions
- The change-of-base formula and logarithms
For an alternative review of this material you could look over the lesson transcripts that present the same material but in an easy to read format. Further reinforce your comprehension of the lessons by completing lesson worksheets and quizzes. The lesson quizzes also serve the function of identifying areas of weakness that you could improve upon using video tags linked to the key parts of the lesson videos.
1. What Is an Exponential Function?
Brand new technologies don't always catch on right away because they can be expensive and don't always work as well as they should. But once the price comes down, and they start to work better, it doesn't take very long before it seems like everyone has one. Learn about the numbers behind this, exponential functions!
2. Exponential Growth vs. Decay
How is it that it only takes four years for our computer to go from top-of-the-line to almost worthless? Well, it has something to do with what's called exponential decay, which we'll learn about here!
3. Compounding Interest Formulas: Calculations & Examples
Compound interest is a great way to have your money work for you. In this lesson, find out the formula for calculating compound interest and practice using the formula with several examples.
4. What is a Logarithm?
Logarithms can help you solve exponential functions. In this lesson, you will learn about how to work with and recognize logarithms, and how to use logarithm notation with an example problem about earthquakes!
5. How to Evaluate Logarithms
Using this lesson, you can get practice evaluating logarithms, as well as learn some of the shortcuts behind writing and estimating them. You can also learn how to use your calculator to evaluate logarithms, and learn about a concept called the change of base theory.
6. Logarithmic Properties
Along with the change of base property, there are three other logarithmic properties that allow you to manipulate expressions to your advantage. Learn about the product rule, quotient rule and power rule here.
7. Practice Problems for Logarithmic Properties
As you get further and further into mathematics, logarithms will appear more and more. It's the point of this lesson to get you used to dealing with them and able to know what to do when you see a whole line of paper full of them!
8. How to Solve Exponential Equations
Read this lesson to learn the steps you need to take to solve exponential equations. You'll see that it's not too difficult; you just need to make use of one other mathematical operation in order to solve your problems.
9. How to Solve Logarithmic Equations
If you're ever picking out a telescope to see your favorite planet, make sure you do the math first! Learn how to solve the logarithmic equation that will get you the size telescope you want.
10. How to Graph Logarithms: Transformations and Effects on Domain/Range
The graph of a basic logarithm is relatively simple. This lesson will show you how to graph a logarithm and what the transformations will do to the graph as well as their effects on the domain and range of the graph.
11. Transformation of Exponential Functions: Examples & Summary
All exponential functions follow a basic graph. But when you make changes to the function, you will see the graph shift and make changes. Watch this video lesson to learn how to easily identify these changes or transformations.
12. Using the Change-of-Base Formula for Logarithms: Definition & Example
Logarithms have many uses in the real world. But what happens when the calculation uses a base other than the standard base 10? Watch this video to find out how to handle this situation and the formula to use.
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ORELA Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- ORELA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- ORELA Math: Fractions
- ORELA Math: Decimals & Percents
- ORELA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- ORELA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- ORELA Math: Logic
- ORELA Math: Reasoning
- ORELA Math: Vector Operations
- ORELA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- ORELA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions
- ORELA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ORELA Math: Linear Equations
- ORELA Math: Inequalities
- ORELA Math: Absolute Value
- ORELA Math: Quadratic Equations
- ORELA Math: Polynomials
- ORELA Math: Rational Expressions
- ORELA Math: Radical Expressions
- ORELA Math: Systems of Equations
- ORELA Math: Complex Numbers
- ORELA Math: Functions
- ORELA Math: Piecewise Functions
- ORELA Math: Continuity of a Function
- ORELA Math: Limits
- ORELA Math: Rate of Change
- ORELA Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- ORELA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- ORELA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- ORELA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- ORELA Math: Integration Techniques
- ORELA Math: Applications of Integration
- ORELA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- ORELA Math: Geometric Figures
- ORELA Math: Properties of Triangles
- ORELA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- ORELA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- ORELA Math: Quadrilaterals
- ORELA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- ORELA Math: Conic Sections
- ORELA Math: Geometric Solids
- ORELA Math: Analytical Geometry
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Functions
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- ORELA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- ORELA Math: Sequences & Series
- ORELA Math: Graph Theory
- ORELA Math: Set Theory
- ORELA Math: Statistics Overview
- ORELA Math: Summarizing Data
- ORELA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- ORELA Math: Probability
- ORELA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- ORELA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- ORELA Math: Sampling
- ORELA Math: Regression & Correlation
- ORELA Mathematics Flashcards