About This Chapter
ORELA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions - Chapter Summary
This chapter is designed to help you gain the mastery of exponents and exponential expressions that you're expected to demonstrate on the ORELA Math certification exam. Quick, appealing video lessons break down the following topics:
- The order of operations and exponential expressions
- The five main exponent properties
- Simplifying exponential expressions
- Negative exponents and powers of fractions
- How to simplify and solve exponential expressions
- Expressions containing rational exponents
Our instructors are available to answer any questions you have as you work through the chapter. Don't forget to take each of the lesson quizzes - they can help you remember important ideas by allowing you to practice using the concepts. They'll also help you decide whether any areas need additional review.
Objectives of the ORELA Math: Exponents & Exponential Expressions Chapter
Exponents and exponential expressions can be confusing, but this chapter is designed to help you master the concepts you need to know for ORELA certification. Enticing videos explain the topics you'll likely encounter on the assessment, and lesson quizzes introduce you to the exam format.
You'll be allowed four and a quarter hours to complete all 150 multiple-choice tasks on the ORELA Math assessment. The computer-administered exam covers five content domains, which are weighted as follows in regards to your assessment score: mathematical processes and number sense (19%); patterns, algebra and functions (24%); measurement and geometry (19%); trigonometry and calculus (19%); and statistics, probability and discrete mathematics (19%).
1. Exponential Expressions & The Order of Operations
When performing mathematical operations, there is a specific order in which the operations should be performed. This includes when to simplify the exponents. This lesson will describe in what order exponents should be solved as you are performing mathematical operations.
2. What Are the Five Main Exponent Properties?
We'll look at the five important exponent properties and an example of each. You can think of them as the order of operations for exponents. Learn how to handle math problems with exponents here!
3. The Power of Zero: Simplifying Exponential Expressions
Raising a number to the power of zero is not the same as if the exponent is a number other than zero. This lesson will explain the rule involving using zero as an exponent and will give some examples of how it works.
4. Negative Exponents: Writing Powers of Fractions and Decimals
Most numbers can be written in different ways, either as a fraction, decimal or exponent. This lesson will teach you how to write fractions and decimals using exponents and how to convert between the two.
5. Simplifying and Solving Exponential Expressions
What do we do with an exponent? In this lesson, we'll learn how to simplify and solve expressions containing exponents. We'll solve a variety of types of exponential expressions.
6. Rational Exponents
In this video, learn how to go from a rational exponent to a radical expression and back. No tricks or magic, just good math! We'll review the basics and look at a few examples.
7. Simplifying Expressions with Rational Exponents
Simplifying expressions with rational exponents is so easy. In fact, you already know how to do it! We simply use the exponent properties but with fractions as the exponent!
Earning College Credit
Did you know… We have over 200 college courses that prepare you to earn credit by exam that is accepted by over 1,500 colleges and universities. You can test out of the first two years of college and save thousands off your degree. Anyone can earn credit-by-exam regardless of age or education level.
To learn more, visit our Earning Credit Page
Transferring credit to the school of your choice
Not sure what college you want to attend yet? Study.com has thousands of articles about every imaginable degree, area of study and career path that can help you find the school that's right for you.
Other chapters within the ORELA Mathematics: Practice & Study Guide course
- ORELA Math: Properties of Real Numbers
- ORELA Math: Fractions
- ORELA Math: Decimals & Percents
- ORELA Math: Ratios & Proportions
- ORELA Math: Units of Measure & Conversions
- ORELA Math: Logic
- ORELA Math: Reasoning
- ORELA Math: Vector Operations
- ORELA Math: Matrix Operations & Determinants
- ORELA Math: Algebraic Expressions
- ORELA Math: Linear Equations
- ORELA Math: Inequalities
- ORELA Math: Absolute Value
- ORELA Math: Quadratic Equations
- ORELA Math: Polynomials
- ORELA Math: Rational Expressions
- ORELA Math: Radical Expressions
- ORELA Math: Systems of Equations
- ORELA Math: Complex Numbers
- ORELA Math: Functions
- ORELA Math: Piecewise Functions
- ORELA Math: Exponential & Logarithmic Functions
- ORELA Math: Continuity of a Function
- ORELA Math: Limits
- ORELA Math: Rate of Change
- ORELA Math: Calculating Derivatives & Derivative Rules
- ORELA Math: Graphing Derivatives
- ORELA Math: Applications of Derivatives
- ORELA Math: Area Under the Curve & Integrals
- ORELA Math: Integration Techniques
- ORELA Math: Applications of Integration
- ORELA Math: Foundations of Geometry
- ORELA Math: Geometric Figures
- ORELA Math: Properties of Triangles
- ORELA Math: Triangle Theorems & Proofs
- ORELA Math: Parallel Lines & Polygons
- ORELA Math: Quadrilaterals
- ORELA Math: Circles & Arc of a Circle
- ORELA Math: Conic Sections
- ORELA Math: Geometric Solids
- ORELA Math: Analytical Geometry
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Functions
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Graphs
- ORELA Math: Solving Trigonometric Equations
- ORELA Math: Trigonometric Identities
- ORELA Math: Sequences & Series
- ORELA Math: Graph Theory
- ORELA Math: Set Theory
- ORELA Math: Statistics Overview
- ORELA Math: Summarizing Data
- ORELA Math: Tables, Plots & Graphs
- ORELA Math: Probability
- ORELA Math: Discrete Probability Distributions
- ORELA Math: Continuous Probability Distributions
- ORELA Math: Sampling
- ORELA Math: Regression & Correlation
- ORELA Mathematics Flashcards